Do you need to remember exactly how to do some things? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm studying for my first certification. When I called to an authorized center about if it was possible to take an exam without take the course previously, they said yes. I said that I was interested in get the Windows Server certification and that I was learning from books and I asked if they have some advice to give me about the exam, I was expecting to know if it is need to have hands on experience before or if you just need to read the books, but they said me as an advice that for example, in TS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring's exam, if in the exam you have a question that asks about how to do some thing, you need to answer exactly as it is in the book, althougth in the GUI you have a fast way to do it.
    Is that true?

Thank you

• Edited by Nico C Saturday, December 3, 2011 12:54 AM I corrected some errors on the writing.
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 12:50 AM

Answers

• You need experience using a product/technology before you sit a Microsoft Exam.  Just reading books will not provide you with enough knowledge to pass an exam.

You don't need to answer questions as they appear exactly in a book as the questions aren't based of a book, they're based on using a product/technology in real life.  This is why just reading books won't provide you with enough knowledge to pass an exam. 

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 6:12 AM

All replies

• You need experience using a product/technology before you sit a Microsoft Exam.  Just reading books will not provide you with enough knowledge to pass an exam.

You don't need to answer questions as they appear exactly in a book as the questions aren't based of a book, they're based on using a product/technology in real life.  This is why just reading books won't provide you with enough knowledge to pass an exam. 

Jeff Wharton

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Thanks, the same applies to the TS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring's exam? That is the exam (and not the Active Directory's exam, I copy & paste the wrong exam name) they said that the questions about how to do some thing need to be replied as it is in the book, although in GUI you have a faster way to do it. I think I was wrong when I said that they said "if in the exam you have a question...",  I don't remember very well but I think that they didn't use "if", like if they were sure about in that exam there are questions you need to reply as the book says.

• Edited by Nico C Saturday, December 3, 2011 4:26 PM
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 4:26 PM
  • This applies to every exam.  Exams are based on products/technology, not books.
    Jeff Wharton

Sunday, December 4, 2011 1:44 AM