Server Folders tab - no folder hierarchy? RRS feed

• Question

•  I can add a folder on the Server Folders tab of Dashboard, but only at this outermost level. If I want some sort of hierarchical structure for my shared folders, I have to double click and create it using Windows Explorer.

But setting up the access permissions for my new folder using Explorer (Folder Properties - Security) is not very user-friendly. I appreciate the intention of giving users a simple way of adding new shared folders using Dashboard, but not including any folder structure on this screen makes it almost useless.

Am I missing something?

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:30 AM

Answers

• The Server Folders view lets you manage the shares on your server, including security, which should be set only at this level. You can set security on a server folder by selecting a folder, viewing it's properties, and selecting the "Share" tab. Everything within a folder created in the dashboard should have the same security; managing security at any other level, or in any other way, isn't supported.

For folders you may create within a share (something you will need to do in a tool such as Windows Explorer), you should let Windows Home Server manage security by itself.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:03 AM

All replies

• The Server Folders view lets you manage the shares on your server, including security, which should be set only at this level. You can set security on a server folder by selecting a folder, viewing it's properties, and selecting the "Share" tab. Everything within a folder created in the dashboard should have the same security; managing security at any other level, or in any other way, isn't supported.

For folders you may create within a share (something you will need to do in a tool such as Windows Explorer), you should let Windows Home Server manage security by itself.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:03 AM
  • I would like to have something like this:         Music folder - My Music folder

- My wife's Music folder

This way I can play "Music Folder" and listen to the music that everyone is sharing. But clearly the read/write access rights for "My Music" and "My wife's Music" should be different. To me, this seems like a reasonable way of organising shared files. I guess other people may want to organise their shares in other ways.

It seems strange that the developers have given us a nice friendly way of adding folders and controlling the access rights, but only at the outermost level. Will anyone actually find this useable in practice?

I would like the design team to tell me how they envisaged people would use their system in real-world scenarios. Must I choose to play my wife's music, or my daughter's music, or my music, etc?

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 3:38 PM
  • If you're using the media streaming built in to the server, every device that can consume media will have access to all media of supported types, in all media folders. There's no security on this, only on direct folder access through the shares. This also applies to media players like Windows Media Player in it's streaming mode; in that mode it's consuming a data stream from a server rather than accessing files directly.

In your scenario, you could set up two shares, one for you and one for your wife; with security set appropriately you would be able to protect each other's media from inadvertant change, but you wouldn't be able to prevent your wife or daughter from playing your media.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 4:01 PM