Options for Upgraded OEM Laptop. RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know if I understand the license requirements concerning Windows. I purchased an HP laptop 2 years ago and ordered it with Windows XP Pro installed. This is called an OEM license and is required to stay with the laptop. Last year I purchased Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade and upgraded my aforementioned laptop. Now I want to sell my laptop and purchase another, but most vendors are charging $160 to upgrade a laptop to Vista Ultimate.

I think these are my options (correct me if I am wrong please)

Option 1- Sell computer as is but with my purchased and installed programs uninstalled. I would need to give the buyer the original installation disks as well as the Vista Upgrade disk.

Option 2- Reinstall the original disks and seel the computer the way I received it from HP and I get to keep the Vista Ultimate Upgrade and install it on my new laptop and not pay the extra $160 to get it shipped with Ultimate on it.

Is it worth going with option 1 and buying the 64 bit Ultimate?

Any comments or suggestions?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 6:34 PM

Answers

• HIi Philbio2k,

Sorry for the delayed response - I'm new to this forum.

Your Vista Ultimate Upgrade disks cannot be used to do a "clean install" on a new PC - they can only be used to upgrade from a pre-existing version of Windows. I would therefore suggest Option 1 as your better choice.

Best regards,

Jenifer

Friday, May 30, 2008 4:22 PM