Put files in Shared Folders RRS feed

• Question

• Newbie question--How do I put files in shared folders? When I try to open a shared folder -error//Access denied/--yes I gave permission-there is nothing in these folders except the software folder-still get error message when I try to open it--
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:13 PM

Answers

• Assuming that you've already set up an account (via the WHS Console) that matches (both username & password) the account that you're using on that desktop:
    You also need to give your account access permissions (again, via the WHS Console) to the share(s) that you want to access.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:19 PM
  • How are you trying to access the files, and what is the OS of your Client? Is it a permissions problem on the Client side.

Also, have you rebooted the Server and the Client since creating the User, I've seen an occasion where the permissions hadn't percolated round until the reboots, I don't know why.

Another reason why the reboots might be needed, is that the previous share session is still active. This can be shut down, without a reboot, by the following:

1) Remote desktop into the your server as the Administrator

2)  From the Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Computer Management

3) Go To System Tools > Shared Folders > Sessions

4) Find the user in question and right click and select Close Session

Colin

Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:54 PM

All replies

• Assuming that you've already set up an account (via the WHS Console) that matches (both username & password) the account that you're using on that desktop:
    You also need to give your account access permissions (again, via the WHS Console) to the share(s) that you want to access.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Hi Chris thanks for the input--I've done all that --still can't access the folders
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:35 PM
  • How are you trying to access the files, and what is the OS of your Client? Is it a permissions problem on the Client side.

Also, have you rebooted the Server and the Client since creating the User, I've seen an occasion where the permissions hadn't percolated round until the reboots, I don't know why.

Another reason why the reboots might be needed, is that the previous share session is still active. This can be shut down, without a reboot, by the following:

1) Remote desktop into the your server as the Administrator

2)  From the Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Computer Management

3) Go To System Tools > Shared Folders > Sessions

4) Find the user in question and right click and select Close Session

Colin

Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Hi Colin-thanks for the reply-I'm trying to access the files from the shared folders page-right clicking on the folder and selecting open so I can browse for files to import--using Vista from (not from the client) the desktop computer--the server is a another 'ol desktop using XP --I've rebooted since creating the users-I'll try rebooting again--thanks ***
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:25 PM
  • More info-I've rebooted the server and was able to open the shared folders on the server but not the console--I'll reboot the console and try again--my server has 2 drives
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:01 PM
  • Thanks--it turned out to a password error
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Thanks--it turnrd out to be a password error
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:27 PM
  • Glad you found it. We all have them!

Colin

Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:31 PM