Window unable detect my old WHS hardrive! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

so I did some really really stupid things on my server and got it corrupted...

at the time when my system was working. i had 4 TB of storage pool setup with certain important file setup as duplicated. at one point i ran out of space and ask me to clear up some files. but i need all the file on the system so i wanted to delete my PC and Laptop system back up. navigating through console couldnt find this option, i went manually to D:/DE/FOlder and remove the backup.dat files from the folder that has name with long letter and number ( looks like a CD key type of folder). after that this is where my doom kicks in.. 

I was kept getting error msg of back up service fail and window console keep crash on me when I try to repair backup. i decide to do a server re-installation to fix this problem. untill the almost end of installation, i got a msg says "Installing Windows Home Server failed: The device is not connected."  at this point I went to storage management. I notice that 3 of my storage drive show up as Unallocated ( and it contain most of my data in there!!).

I've tried to detach those drive and put it on my window 7 PC to check if i can back up theese files but window 7 also recognize all 3 drive as unallocated!! i cannot create the drive as new volume since this will format the drive and i will lost all the data.

at this point i'm not sure what to do next to recover the datas on the 3 drive since both WHS and window 7 not able to regonize the drive as a real drive ( D:/share)

I've test all 3 drive with HD diagnostic they are 100% working not defective.

currently i have 2 HD of WD 1 TB and 2 HD of 1 TB Seagate drive, the only drive i still can access file is the 1 TB seagate which i partition to install WHS OS on it. and none of them are raid and running IDE native mode in BIOS

please kindly advise and help..

Monday, July 19, 2010 12:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

so I did some really really stupid things on my server and got it corrupted...

at the time when my system was working. i had 4 TB of storage pool setup with certain important file setup as duplicated. at one point i ran out of space and ask me to clear up some files. but i need all the file on the system so i wanted to delete my PC and Laptop system back up. navigating through console couldnt find this option, i went manually to D:/DE/FOlder and remove the backup.dat files from the folder that has name with long letter and number ( looks like a CD key type of folder). after that this is where my doom kicks in.. 

I was kept getting error msg of back up service fail and window console keep crash on me when I try to repair backup. i decide to do a server re-installation to fix this problem. untill the almost end of installation, i got a msg says "Installing Windows Home Server failed: The device is not connected."  at this point I went to storage management. I notice that 3 of my storage drive show up as Unallocated ( and it contain most of my data in there!!).

I've tried to detach those drive and put it on my window 7 PC to check if i can back up theese files but window 7 also recognize all 3 drive as unallocated!! i cannot create the drive as new volume since this will format the drive and i will lost all the data.

at this point i'm not sure what to do next to recover the datas on the 3 drive since both WHS and window 7 not able to regonize the drive as a real drive ( D:/share)

I've test all 3 drive with HD diagnostic they are 100% working not defective.

currently i have 2 HD of WD 1 TB and 2 HD of 1 TB Seagate drive, the only drive i still can access file is the 1 TB seagate which i partition to install WHS OS on it. and none of them are raid and running IDE native mode in BIOS

please kindly advise and help..

If you can't get Win7 to recognize the partitions on those drives, you might need to use data recovery to get the data off of those drives.  You can either get a DIY app, or take them to a professional service (but that won't be cheap).
    Monday, July 19, 2010 1:40 AM
  • damn i knew this gonna happen.. i guess no other way of getting WHS recognize the drive right?
    Monday, July 19, 2010 1:46 AM
  • damn i knew this gonna happen.. i guess no other way of getting WHS recognize the drive right?
    I think you're missing the point.  If 7 can't read them, WHS can't do anything with them either.  They are formatted as standard NTFS drives when added to the storage pool.  Either A) your drives were all formatted (which would happen if you did New Installation instead of Server Reinstallation), B) your partition tables got messed up (which seems unlikely, but I guess it's possible) or C) your drives are just dying.  I guess you could try fixmbr or fixboot commands, but if you have data on those drives you can't afford to lose, I would strongly recommend data recovery first (before trying anything else that might make your bad situation worse).
    Monday, July 19, 2010 3:37 AM
  • i think your Option b is very likely due to the fact that I delete the folder while the server was working... which causing the WHS unable recgonize the HD.

i know the drive are not dying since i've already ran the HD test all working fine. ill go with the data recovery route for now but need to pick up extra HD to move the file...

Thanks for the advice

Monday, July 19, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Look at this http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/data-recovery-downloads/ you get a 30 day trial. Recovery is limited during the trial period but at least you can scan your disks to see what there. I have used it in the past and it works

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:01 PM
  • The usual functioning way of recovering data from a failed server is described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

What you experience, is something else.
    Deleting a folder does not make Windows unable to read the volumes. Either the disk is broken, the logical structure is damaged, the cable has an issue (did you use internal or external connection, IDE, SATA or USB?), you selected a controller port, which does not support single disks etc.

Is the disk and it's volumes visible in Disk Management console?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:19 PM