Win7 Pro & Acronis restore RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I have been a lurker for a long time and have learned a lot about the new technologies in these forums. One thing I have learned recently concerns restoring a drive running Win7 using Acronis True Image Home 2011. Namely, the activation problems once you do the restore from a "good" image...

Problem seems to be: It don't work!? Or it becomes a huge hassle once the restore is done and you try to activate/validate. Is there a trick to making it work smoothly? I have an image I want to restore to as my system isn't up to it's usual standards. I am wondering if I should trust the process involving Acronis, or just do a clean install period? Any recommendations before I pull the trigger? System spec's are as follows:

Dell 730x with i7 920 Quad Core

6 Gig Triple channel DDR 3

2 Nvidia GTX460 in SLI

Stock Mobo with H20 cooling

4-One TB Drives (C: drive is a 200GB partition just for the OS)

I'm running Win7 Pro with Acronis True Image Home 2011.

I have 2 Acronis restore images on my F: drive: One is a "Clean Install" image done immediately after the final step of a fresh install: no updates, SP, drivers, nothing. The other image is clean, but done immediately after all the updated drivers were installed and all the Windows updates till that date were installed (Aug 17, 2011) with no extraneous software loaded: no games, no apps, etc. I have been using/loving Win7 since it came out, but got hit with some extreme malware infection prior to that and didn't have a solid image to go back to...so I nuked and paved the system and started fresh this past August...

From what I have read/learned here, Noel & Darin, you seem to want to get to the bottom of the Acronis/Win7 validation issues...I am willing to be a bit of a guinea pig and do a step by step if it will help you figure out the problem here...any advice based on the above?

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:05 PM

Answers

• No activity in this thread.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:12 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:12 PM

All replies

• Are you using the Plus Pack or just the basic Acronis program?

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:15 PM
    Answerer
  • "TrailbossMCT" wrote in message news:d20eeb87-89d4-459a-b188-e3be575af243...

From what I have read/learned here, Noel & Darin, you seem to want to get to the bottom of the Acronis/Win7 validation issues...I am willing to be a bit of a guinea pig and do a step by step if it will help you figure out the problem here...any advice based on the above?

First, we need to know a little more – is this based on the OEM install, or a clean install using a normal retail-style disk? From memory, almost all occurrences have been using the OEM_SLP Key, and consequently the ‘old’ HD has a hidden Recovery partition. Is this still present on your current install (or was it present on the earlier backups?)

I’m currently trying to deal with another instance of this – it would be useful for comparison purposes to take advantage of your offer.
    I don’t think that the forum is the appropriate place for doing this type of thing, so please email me at ngsATcrashfixpcDOTcoDOTuk (make the obvious changes)

Thanks again!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:25 PM
  • I will email ya when I get a chance at work. My version is Volume MAK (work PC)and I use the regular retail version of Acronis basic....The original drive (with the hidden Recovery Partition from Dell) is gone: replaced with 1TB drives.
    • Edited by TrailbossMCT Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:42 PM
  • No activity in this thread.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:12 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:12 PM