Primary Key ID Pools RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I'm new to the Microsoft Sync Framework. 

I've some experiance of developing applications for mobile devices using Sybase databases and syncing using Mobilink technologies. 

In Mobilink you can create a POOL or BUCKET of ID's for a given table which is distributed per sync this allows a devie to create a given number of rows on there device without fear of primary key conflict.
    I've started writing Microsoft sync framework applications for mobile devices syning datasbases using ADO.net sync provider and have not found a similar technique. 

I was wondering what is the best practice way of dealing with inserts into synced tables in ADO.net sync provider and handling conflict resoltuion. 
    Most of the Microsoft documentation simply says that conflicts can be force rewritten whcih woul;d not really help me.

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:31 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have been using GUID's for the keys for sync'd tables, it ensures that the keys will be unique between machines... not sure if its best practice though....
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:58 PM
  • Here is a good link that talks about selecting an appropriate PK.
    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, November 27, 2009 4:43 AM