Install complete - No sign of the install RRS feed

• Question

• I have a freshly installed Win2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition, with Exchange Server Standard 2007 and Office Enterprise 2007 install.  The server is running the following roles: DNS, File server, Application server, Domain Controller and WINS.  I have patched/updated everything, ran MSFT Online scanner to clean up registery (hundreds of errors). When I install this beta, the install program completes successfully, but there are not signs of anything being installed.  No new menu options, no new services, nada, nothing.  I see nothing in any of the event viewers that I think is relavent, with the exception of some DNS complaints.  Any ideas?

Monday, August 6, 2007 2:59 PM

Answers

• If you've downloaded the public beta, it is an .msi that, when run, installs the installer (irony!) to your hard drive. the default location is "C:\Office Communications Server_Eval\EnterpriseEdition\" or something like that. You have to browse to it and run it setup from there. The actual installation process is quite lengthy and will leave no doubt that it's been installed.

Anyway - the public beta isn't available for donwload anymore as of yesterday (august 7th) and will be expiring. So if I were you I would download the trial evaluation:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/bb684921.aspx

One last thing: OCS is a 32 bit app. You _can_ run it on x64 but it gets thunked - you won't any improvements over win2k32 bit. There are a couple of weird things with OCS on 64 bit (no show stoppers) - just review them in the release notes.

Regards,

Matt

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 9:38 PM

All replies

• Do you see the OCS 2007 administration console in Administrative Tools? If you run setup again, does it show that everything has been Run?

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:08 PM
  • If you've downloaded the public beta, it is an .msi that, when run, installs the installer (irony!) to your hard drive. the default location is "C:\Office Communications Server_Eval\EnterpriseEdition\" or something like that. You have to browse to it and run it setup from there. The actual installation process is quite lengthy and will leave no doubt that it's been installed.

Anyway - the public beta isn't available for donwload anymore as of yesterday (august 7th) and will be expiring. So if I were you I would download the trial evaluation:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/bb684921.aspx

One last thing: OCS is a 32 bit app. You _can_ run it on x64 but it gets thunked - you won't any improvements over win2k32 bit. There are a couple of weird things with OCS on 64 bit (no show stoppers) - just review them in the release notes.

Regards,

Matt

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 9:38 PM