Drive Failure - Advice appreciated on how to swap out RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows Home Server with 8 x 500GB SATA drives which has been working fine for ~1 year. I have duplication turned on for some folders, but not all.

Recently some of my files (both duplicated and non duplicated) became inaccessible. On logging onto the server I discovered that one of my drives is "Missing" (I have got a couple of screen shots, but can't work out how to attach them to this thread).

I'm assuming that the HDD in question has failed and so have bought a new drive to replace it, but I need a couple of pieces of advice:

1. All my drives have the same name WDC WD5000AAK5-00YGA. Is there a way of renaming the drives in WHS to something a bit more helpful like "Drive 1" etc? That way I could also sticker the physical drives in this way so that if this happens in the future its a lot easier the locate the drive in question.

2. What is the best way to replace the failed drive? After I have renamed the drives, should i just systematically unplug each drive until I find the correct one and then just plug in the new drive? Should I "Disconnect" the drive from the storage pool in WHS first? I'm hoping that I can get some life out of the drive and plug it into a USB caddy to copy some of the "lost" video files over.

Thanks as ever to this community for your help.

Regards,

Adam
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 2:01 PM

Answers

• After determining what drive has failed, physically remove it from your case and then remove it using the console.  Then add in new drive if you so desire.  You might be able to still hook the messed up drive to another pc via usb or such and get your files off of it.  Depending on how badly the drive is damaged.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, December 21, 2008 5:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Grafight Sunday, December 21, 2008 8:21 PM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:21 PM

All replies

• If you got the WHS Disk Management add-in you would be able to identify each of your disks.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:44 PM
  • After determining what drive has failed, physically remove it from your case and then remove it using the console.  Then add in new drive if you so desire.  You might be able to still hook the messed up drive to another pc via usb or such and get your files off of it.  Depending on how badly the drive is damaged.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, December 21, 2008 5:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Grafight Sunday, December 21, 2008 8:21 PM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Thanks fir your help.
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 8:22 PM