none
Windows Media Connect service cannot start RRS feed

• Question

• Since the update to IE8 was forced (dont know if that is the cause of the problem) I have been unable to run the Windows Media Connect Service. This service is set to Automatic but it stops as soon as you try to run it.

The depending services (HTTP SSL and Plug and Play Device) all run automatic as well and have no problems (all services are started and running). However I am unable to find the HTTP service.

When I turn off media sharing and reboot the server then everything is okay and green status, but as soon as I turn the media sharing on again the status will turn yellow.

Suggestions?
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:01 PM

Answers

• I eventually fixed this problem. It appeared the Windows Media Connect service was running under the "Local System" account. I switched it to the "Network Service" account (with a blank password) and UPNP in WHS works again!
    • Marked as answer by AvanCade Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:10 AM
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:09 AM

All replies

• Since the update to IE8 was forced (dont know if that is the cause of the problem) I have been unable to run the Windows Media Connect Service. This service is set to Automatic but it stops as soon as you try to run it.

The depending services (HTTP SSL and Plug and Play Device) all run automatic as well and have no problems (all services are started and running). However I am unable to find the HTTP service.

When I turn off media sharing and reboot the server then everything is okay and green status, but as soon as I turn the media sharing on again the status will turn yellow.

Suggestions?
    If it really is caused solely by IE8 (and by solely I mean you didn't install any apps on the server which could be causing the problem due to the installation of IE8), you could logon to the server desktop and uninstall IE8 through Add/Remove Programs.  However, I doubt that is the sole cause of it (otherwise this forum would be flooded with complaints).  When you tried to start the service, did it give you an error message?  If so, exactly what did it say?
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:52 AM
  • I doubt it myself too. I have other applications installed like SABnzbd and uTorrent. But those are not new (installed since day one).

The error message I receive when I start the service is:
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:10 AM
  • I think the error comes from the HTTP service not existing. How do i get this installed?
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:37 PM
  • I think the error comes from the HTTP service not existing. How do i get this installed?

Actually, HTTP is considered a driver, not a service (and I can't even find where it's listed outside of Services).  You might want to consider a Server Reinstallation.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 4:46 AM
  • That is the 'funny' part. The server has been reinstalled a few days ago and then it required some updates and a reboot. Next thing I know the current issue appeared.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Im still working on this issue. No results so far. Any suggestions?
    Friday, May 22, 2009 11:16 PM
  • Im still working on this issue. No results so far. Any suggestions?

Perhaps try another Server Reinstallation and don't install any add-ins, apps or drivers for at least a few days (to make sure the OS is stable).
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:13 PM
  • I eventually fixed this problem. It appeared the Windows Media Connect service was running under the "Local System" account. I switched it to the "Network Service" account (with a blank password) and UPNP in WHS works again!
    • Marked as answer by AvanCade Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:10 AM
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:09 AM