Reporting using Money Data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've been using Money for years and currently have Money data in 3 files, there are a few years in a pre-2000 file, a 2000-2010 file and currently a 2011-2012 file.

I was wondering whether anyone had any experience of using an external reporting tool - I was thinking of exporting my data from the 3 files into another tool to give me access to the data - also going forward I've been looking at alternatives to Money, mainly for better budgeting capabilities and has been using YNAB in parallel so incorporating this data would also make sense.

Any ideas and suggestions welcome

Sunday, November 11, 2012 12:14 PM

All replies

• You can use 'sunriise' to export the *.mny tables into *.mdb (MS Access) or *.csv (Excel and others). Notes that the exported data is at the database table level. You will get a wealth of data of a lot of flexibility (in exchange for complexity: you will need to figure out which data the data you are interested in  and how to merge them).

See: http://sunriise.sourceforge.net/

Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:15 PM
  • Wow, this tool certainly gets the data out of Money into a lot of flat tables. Has anyone taken the data any further, first task seems to be figuring out how it all hangs together.

The only reason I have my data in separate files was due to performance issues, my 10 year file became so slow it was unworkable, seems it has some sort of internal problem.  I am wondering whether a better option might be to try and merge the files back together.

I think before spending time on either approach I really need to decide why and what I might actually gain from such a huge task - my instinct is telling me that it is probably not worth it.

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:02 AM
  • To merge or combine Money file, make a copy of the more complex
    account using the operating system.  Give that file a new name to
    represent the shared accounts.  Export each account that you want to
    merge from the other file (the least complex).  Use loose qif.

Import the files all at once into the now-shared account.  Use
    Cntl-click to select files for the single import.

You can try more than one way. Keep copies of intermediate steps in case you want to undo something.

Archiving to help performance is generally disappointing.  If you have a really slow file, the remove all bills feature may help.

File->Repair->RemoveAllBillsData

This Remove All Bills Data feature would be for people who have
    experienced their Money file to run excessively slow.

To get some information within the program,
    File->Repair->RemoveAllBillsData
    Read the information. Then click cancel.

Before proceeding, make an extra copy or backup of your file
    in case you want to undo something.

The problem will be that if you remove all bills, you will probably
    want to add at least some of your bills back.  This can be done
    manually with the aid of the reports that you print out before
    removing the bills.

A technique that could help simplify re-entering your bills
    afterward would be to go your register and selecting a
    representative instance of your past bill and selecting "Make
    Recurring" (Ctrl+E).  This would be especially helpful if the bill
    is complex, such as involving a split.

Monday, November 12, 2012 5:58 PM