Is Microsoft silly? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Question ^^
    I got an Idea I thought by my self hm... your Network is big (8 PC) + WHS lets make a DC (Yas I overflowen the EULA but I have other problems than save a ____ EULA in my Brain) Than I go START Ausführen dcpromo the assistant starts "HM... OK it works" The assistent is finished correctly the domain works "great" than I cant connect with WHS consloe from client to server.

OK ask google... nothing
    Ask google for WSH als DC ... Bingo

Now Iam asking my self and you WHAT kind of ____ is goinig on in the Brains of Microsoft...
    WHY CAN I INSTALL A DC with out any problems with no error or info about the ____ eula? and the server blocks items withoutt a massage?
    Do you smoke to much joints or something ?

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:33 PM

Answers

• In addition to being a violation of the EULA, running DCPROMO is unsupported. It's also known to break the Windows Home Server security model. While it's possible to use DCPROMO to demote a domain controller (thus deleting the domain/forest in your case), in my experience there's no way of recovering short of a server reinstallation, because DCPROMO makes very basic changes in security throughout the server, changes which effectively disable the Windows Home Server security model.

As for why you can run DCPROMO, Windows Home Server uses a "sealed" Windows Server 2003 installation package, and it's possible to run DCPROMO on any Windows server 2003 based computer. The Windows Home Server team can't remove DCPROMO entirely from the package, and in any case WHS isn't designed to support interactive use via a desktop (or Remote Desktop). So there's no supported way to get to your server to run DCPROMO in the first place.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:53 PM