none
Money won't open with correct password RRS feed

• Question

• I have what may be a unique problem. Our Microsoft Money software won't "fully" recognize our password.

Everything was fine last night, and this morning the program wouldn't recognize the password we've used for eons. Coincidentally we got this email early this morning from Microsoft:

"Microsoft account

Security alert

We think that someone else might have accessed the Microsoft account (our email account).  When this happens, we require you to verify your identity with a security   challenge and then change your password the next time you sign in.

If someone else has access to your account, they have your password and might be trying to access your personal information or send junk email.

If you haven't already recovered your account, we can help you do it now.

Learn how to make your account more secure.

Thanks,

The Microsoft account team

Long story short I reset our password (multiple times) in an attempt to get Money to open. Whenever I enter the newest password the program starts signing me in but then I get the error "The email address or password are incorrect. Please try again". This is the same error I get immediately if I use an old password.

PLEASE, can someone help us? I'm at my wit's end and my husband will go beyond that once he finds out his favorite budgeting program is inaccessible.

Regards,

satipler

• Edited by satipler Friday, September 12, 2014 5:08 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2014 3:41 PM

Answers

• In case you didn't already see it, here's Cal's suggestion on how to search your computer for Money backup files:

Run this command in a command window:

dir  \*.mbf  /s

An option if you want to specify a drive, such as C:, then do this command:

dir  c:\*.mbf  /s

It can take a long time to search everywhere

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by satipler Saturday, May 18, 2019 12:29 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 8:27 PM

All replies

• It is quite possible that the security alert message that you received was a phishing attack.

I hope you have a backup, made before your lock-out, and that you can open that ***.mbf file or a copy of your ***.mny file.

Teabag

Friday, September 12, 2014 5:16 PM
  • Thanks Teabag, yes it very well could have been a phishing attack. Yes we backed up our most recent transactions before all this came about. One friend recommended uninstalling then reinstalling the software; thoughts?
    Friday, September 12, 2014 5:24 PM
  • The message you received is in the standard format for a Windows 8/8.1 Microsoft Account security alert. You should check that the Recover account prompt takes you to the log in page for your Microsoft Account and follow the prompts when it does.

This has nothing to do with the Money data file password which is entirely separate from your Microsoft Account password. Unless some malware has accessed your system the Money password should be the same as it always was.

Saturday, September 13, 2014 6:29 AM
  • I would not uninstall and reinstall the software. There are versions of Money that work perfectly well because they were originally installed and immediately updated satisfactorilly, by servers that Microsoft has since switched off ~ UK Money 2005 was one such.

I have read DominicP's post and I suggest you follow his advice; I still use Windows XP and do not (knowingly) have a Microsoft Account.

Teabag

Saturday, September 13, 2014 3:47 PM
  • You would only be prompted about a Microsoft Account if you had Windows 8/8.1.

If you have Windows 8 the Money version has not been updated online so uninstalling and reinstalling is a standard troubleshooting procedure.

Depending on the password, engaging caps lock or (inadvertently) changing the system keyboard language might be the cause of the problem.

Saturday, September 13, 2014 4:39 PM
  • I had identical issue, however; To access my money file I checked the box entitled "I want to sign in to money directly, without access to all online services" on the sign in page.  Prior to Sept 12 it wasn't necessary to check that box but in the sign in process there was another box to acknowledge no online services.

To sign and reply to this thread I had to verify my e-mail address and reset Microsoft account password.  I think minimum password characters increased to at least eight.

Saturday, September 13, 2014 8:19 PM
  • To get into a Money file, or to restore a backup, you will need to enter the password (and email address if it asks) that are the same as were in effect when you saved that Money file or backup. Resetting your Live ID will not have an effect on what Money requires.

If you want further info, say what version of Money you are using. Say if you are in the USA or what.

Saturday, September 13, 2014 10:05 PM
  • Hi

I found this thread via Google.

I have the same problem - Money would NOT open with the same password ever since I started using Money in 2005.  My version of Money is the US Sunset version, been using the same password fine. I could not locate the version number of the Money though.

It was fine yesterday but overnight the password could not open the file.  However there is also no error message about incorrect password.  Just wont open.  When I click the "file" on the left top corner, I can't see the File>Manage Password function. 

Can't understand why this suddenly happens when the software is ACTIVELY used.  I also discover that all my back up files since last few months I routed thru to an UBS, never there.  Not sure why but of course without the password I would not be able to use the back up anyway, despite the latest date was Oct 2014.  That cannot be as I have done backs every week or every 2 weeks thru Mid Feb 2015.

Is there any way to open the Money file that I can clearly see it was last created / modified last night.  However I also see a file modified this morning 3.30 at 11am but I could not possibly modify it given I cannot even get it open.

Monday, March 30, 2015 6:05 PM
  • You did not state whether you were using a conventional password or a LiveID (Passport) that also has an associated email address. The description below presumes you are not using a conventional password:

Disconnect from the Internet.  Pull your ethernet cable or turn off
    your modem -- whatever it takes.  Start Money, click below the
    password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly,
    without access to all online services." then click Next.

If you get into your file, and if you are using Money 2006 or later,
    remove your LiveID.  Do not attempt to change your LiveID.  If you
    already changed your LiveID, use the credentials that were in
    effect at the time that you saved that Money file.  To remove the
    Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your
    LiveID.  To remove or add a conventional password, also see
    File->PasswordManager.

The password is case-sensitive.  If you are not sure of your
    credentials, write down what you remember.  Consider permutations.
    Check your notes.  You will not get into the file without those
    credentials in effect when the file was saved.

You might want to install Sunset on a different computer. See if it can do a standard file repair level 2 to try to make a repaired version of your file. I would do a full search of your hard drives and flash drives to look for *.mbf (Money Backup FIle). I like Agent Ransack as a search that can look everywhere. Alternatively, in a command window you could try this:

dir c:\*.mbf /s

That will look for all *.mbf files on your C drive.

Monday, March 30, 2015 6:52 PM
  • I use a Standard password.  I never use Money for download, always work in offline option.  There is never a Live ID associated with my Money file.

To make things simple I always use lower case for all letters unless it is required by the system.  So no, no case involved.

I look into the properties of the file, it does show my Outlook email account, but I never use that as log in credentials.  Nor I ever use the email account log in / now my window 8.1 log in on Money.  I tried that, and the password was rejected.

I will try the offline log in by disconnect my cable modem and then report back. 

Thanks for the search tip.  I cannot see ANY of the back up files since the initial restoration when I first bought this computer in last Oct and successfully installed Sunset, used previous back up file to make it working.  However all the subsequent back up files dont show up at all.  Hopefully the search could find it.

EDIT - the string you posted, did not find ANYTHING when I use it at the Search box of Window 8.1.  It does not even find the files I saw but could not open.

Where should I use this dir c:\*.mbf /s to search?

Use .mbf alone did not find anything except the initial file I used to load data to the Sunset when I got this new computer last October.  Only ONE such file was found and is dated Oct 2014 when I set up this computer.  I cannot believe this.

• Edited by FLLMIA Monday, March 30, 2015 7:22 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 7:15 PM
  • I used the string on the search box "This PC" and it found nothing! This cannot be because I did do back ups every 10 days or so and almost always before a trip, as well as after coming home and updated things a couple weeks later, I always do a back up, to the removable USB. Never got an error message of failed back up but I also did not check if back up successful. The ONLY back up file is the one dated Oct 2014, being used to restore the Sunset when I got that version so all the data migrated to Sunset. I took the computer offline, and it did not help. Same symbols. I could open the Oct 2014 file from the removable file without issue though. But that is too much data lost since then. Now I am thinking HOW DO I REMOVE ALL THE MONEY STUFF from Current Computer and download the Sunset version to start from Ground Zero? Is that even possible? Thanks for taking time to response.
    Monday, March 30, 2015 7:32 PM
  • EDIT - the string you posted, did not find ANYTHING when I use it at the Search box of Window 8.1.  It does not even find the files I saw but could not open.

Where should I use this dir c:\*.mbf /s to search?

Use .mbf alone did not find anything except the initial file I used to load data to the Sunset when I got this new computer last October.  Only ONE such file was found and is dated Oct 2014 when I set up this computer.  I cannot believe this.

I would open a command window with Start->AllPrograms->Accessories and right-click on CommandPrompt. I would select RunAsAdministrator. That will open a command window. Then enter the string that I put in bold. There are two spaces in that string. The search will run for a while.

Monday, March 30, 2015 8:01 PM
  • Forgive me for my ignorance on computer - on Window 8.1 where do I find the Start to enter the string of command?

Window 8.1 does not have Start any more.  I can find control panel,  Command Prompt (Admin) but when I click Comman Prompt (Admin) it has a pop up to ask me if I want to change the Command function.

I have Search but that did not turn up but ONE file.

When I search again in This PC, it did take a while to run the full search, but yielded the same result, meaning nada.

• Edited by FLLMIA Monday, March 30, 2015 8:13 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 8:11 PM
  • Forgive me for my ignorance on computer - on Window 8.1 where do I find the Start to enter the string of command?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/where-is-start-menu

Some people run http://www.classicshell.net/ to get a more classic appearance.

I am still running Windows 7, tho it looks a lot like XP with the settings that I use.

http://www.howtogeek.com/194041/how-to-open-the-command-prompt-as-administrator-in-windows-8.1/ tells how to open a command window in Windows 8.1.

https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack is the search program that I use.

Monday, March 30, 2015 8:23 PM
  • Unfortunately, the Start Screen does not have the command function, all it has is the Search function at the right top corner, and that is the one I have used by both the string you gave, and by using the file extensions only.  It only turned up the one that could not opened with the correct pasdword when use MNY,  and the old file used to migrate to the Sunset version when using the MBF.  It did not find any other files.

Now assuming this is an unrecoverable event, and I still need to use Money - Would the following steps make any sense?

1) I copy the unopenable file to a removable drive, put it in a new folder so not to confuse with the old one from Oct 2014 which could still be opened.

2) Unstall Money from the computer's Hard Drive.

3) Remove all the data files associate with Money.

4) Download the Sunset version, IF it can still be found? 

5) Install the software, and start anew as never use Money before.

Yeah I know losing all the previous data is a PITA, especially I like the report function which gives me good snap shot on things I keep track of.  But losing the usage of Money would be harder - not know what I can replace the functions that I use, that is to keep track of all income / expenditures, inflow and outflow, etc etc

Monday, March 30, 2015 8:38 PM
  • I had the same problem as a few others in that my Money wouldn't accept the password I've been using for a long time (and which I had made a note of on an index card).  After reviewing these posts, I restored a Money file from a couple of weeks ago and had the same problem with the password, but when I checked the box "I want to sign in to Money directly, without access to all online services" and entered the very same password, it worked!  And I can still download transactions from my credit cards, etc. directly from the credit cards' websites into Money.  I ended up restoring again to my most recent backup, again checking the aforementioned box, and all is back in working order.  Since a number of us have encountered this problem, there must be something going on with that checkbox interface.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:04 AM
  • I had the same problem as a few others in that my Money wouldn't accept the password I've been using for a long time (and which I had made a note of on an index card).  After reviewing these posts, I restored a Money file from a couple of weeks ago and had the same problem with the password, but when I checked the box "I want to sign in to Money directly, without access to all online services" and entered the very same password, it worked!  And I can still download transactions from my credit cards, etc. directly from the credit cards' websites into Money.  I ended up restoring again to my most recent backup, again checking the aforementioned box, and all is back in working order.  Since a number of us have encountered this problem, there must be something going on with that checkbox interface.

If you get into your file, and if you are using Money 2006 or later, remove your LiveID.To remove the Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your LiveID.  To remove or add a conventional password, also see File->PasswordManager.

If using Money 2005 or earlier, continue with what you have been doing. You could do QIF export and then import into a new file with a conventional or no password, but that loses some information in the process. Money 2006 and later, by default, keeps the latest 4 backups. If your file gets corrupted and you back that up, you can backup the corruption. So have more than one vintage of backups, even if you have to take steps on your own.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 7:23 PM
  • How do I access these latest 4 backups you speak of.  I haven't been manually backing up My Money since 2015 and now I am in the same boat as many others who say that they can't get into their account because it no longer accepts a password they have used for years.  All I can see in my files now is the backup from 2015.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2018 9:44 PM
  • How do I access these latest 4 backups you speak of.  I haven't been manually backing up My Money since 2015 and now I am in the same boat as many others who say that they can't get into their account because it no longer accepts a password they have used for years.  All I can see in my files now is the backup from 2015.

Money 2006 and later, including Sunset, do that by default. I expect that you were running something older.  Money 2006 and later was for North America because the other areas decided to stop at Money 2005.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 12:08 PM
  • In case you didn't already see it, here's Cal's suggestion on how to search your computer for Money backup files:

Run this command in a command window:

dir  \*.mbf  /s

An option if you want to specify a drive, such as C:, then do this command:

dir  c:\*.mbf  /s

It can take a long time to search everywhere

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by satipler Saturday, May 18, 2019 12:29 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 8:27 PM