Can I manually create a shadow copy from the command line on Windows Home Server? RRS feed

• Question

• I understand that it is possible to use vssadmin to create a shadow copy on a Server edition of Windows, but not on a Client edition, by the command copied below. Will this work on Windows Home Server PP3, and will it work on Vail?

Thanks.

vssadmin create shadow /for=c:
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:12 PM

All replies

• Shadow copies ("previous versions" functionality) are broken on Windows Home Server V1, due to the way Drive Extender works. They work normally on Vail, with no need to create a copy manually.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Thanks, but I want to create a shadow copy manually, to use with a backup program I'm writing. Is that possible to do from the command line?

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:57 PM
  • It should work on any of the server's drives. I haven't tried it, though. Perhaps you should?

However, if you're trying to create a backup program of some sort, you should keep in mind that because of the way Windows Home Server stores files, you will need to back the entire server up and restore it if you want a backup that won't have issues after the restore completes. You can't just back up the system drive, or the system partition, and expect to restore it successfully at some arbitrary point in the future.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:36 AM
  • Thanks for your answer. I will try it, but first I have to install WHS. :-)

I will try a full backup, but my backup program isn't really intended for WHS, but for "regular" servers like WS 2008. However, for testing, I just need an O/S that allows me to take a shadow copy manually from the command line, and WHS has the advantage of being free (during the beta).

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:40 AM
  • Thanks for your answer. I will try it, but first I have to install WHS. :-)

I will try a full backup, but my backup program isn't really intended for WHS, but for "regular" servers like WS 2008. However, for testing, I just need an O/S that allows me to take a shadow copy manually from the command line, and WHS has the advantage of being free (during the beta).

In that case, you should try the Server 2008 R2 trial.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:32 AM
  • Yes, that is an excellent idea. I didn't know that was available, but now that I do, I'll take advantage of it. Thanks!
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:51 AM
  • ... and WHS has the advantage of being free (during the beta).

This is a common mistake with beta software. "Beta" is often seen by the public as meaning "free time-limited software for the world to use." Marketing departments see "beta" as a way to create buzz around a product. In the software release lifecycle, "beta" really means something much closer to "We don't think there are any horribly severe issues, but we aren't making promises and we need to 'shake out' more bugs." In other words, very possibly nobody will shed a tear when you load a bunch of data onto your beta version of Windows Home Server and you lose everything to a bug. Not that I know of any bugs like that (and I hope there aren't any) but it's possible.

There is a reason Microsoft isn't charging you for the use of Vail during the open beta. If you read the release notes you'll figure it out, I'm pretty sure. But Microsoft makes no promises as to functionality other than "Here's how it's supposed to work. Let us know if something is broken, okay?".

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:46 PM
  • Yes, I know what beta software is, and wouldn't trust anything precious to it.

Monday, September 13, 2010 3:54 PM