Can workflows work with IE 8? RRS feed

• Question

• i have a problem, Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 workflow doesn't seem to be working with IE8.
    senario: when i was still using Vista IE7 the workflows where firing properly now that i am using Windows7 IE8 they have stopped working you can't even see the report whether or not the workflow has succeeded...
    would like to know if im the only one with this kind of problem!!

Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:29 AM

Answers

• Since the workflow, (actually it is the system job generated from the workflow), goes into a waiting state, it is because there is a problem with the workflow.  Since this workflow is a simple workflow with just a Send E-mail step, then maybe the record that the job is running on doesn't have an e-mail address in the e-mail address field.  Whenever you create a workflow that sends an e-mail, always check the e-mail field that you are pulling from to ensure that field has data first.

The way to check this is to open the system job and see where it failed.   Then take a look at the record that the job is running on and see if you can identify why the workflow failed on that particular record.  You can see this article for more information about optimizing workflows.

Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:54 PM

All replies

• Most likely it is not a cause.  Since Workflow runs on the Server side - doesn't get impacted by the Client side IE.  It could be that IE8 is not displaying the CRM Client properly - not able to save the record.

Some ideas:

1. Try on another PC to see if able to access CRM
    2. Test out a manual Workflow on that PC and see if it work
    3. Check the following article on CRM on IE8:
    http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!A2586C4AB938C065!784.entry
    Follow Workopia on Twitter

http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:34 AM
  • Workflows are server side component. So it seems that your problem not in Version of Windows. I suggest you to recheck CRM Server.
    Truth is opened the prepared mind

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)free countersLocations of visitors to this page
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:35 AM
  • have tried all of that but still not working...
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:58 AM
  • what should i check precisely with the CRM Server??

thanks
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:59 AM
  • You should check that Microsoft Asynchronous Service run.

My blog (english)
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:09 AM
  • They are running!!
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:10 AM
  • Strange. I suggest you to send your request to Microsoft Support.

My blog (english)
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:13 AM
  • Check if the scope is setup correctly.

Workflow is working for user1 on IE7
    The same workflow is not working for user1 on IE 8 ?
    My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:34 AM
  • How are you determining if the workflows are working?  Where are you looking in CRM.

"IE8 they have stopped working you can't even see the report whether or not the workflow has succeeded"

What report are you referencing above?  As Frank and Andriy indicated, this type of issue is not related to the browser version used to access the CRM Web Client.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:07 PM
  • after having run the workflow, i check on the workflow tab that shows what happened to the workflow...
    now there is nothing there!! so instead i check the system jobs all i get there is "waiting"

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:54 AM
  • You can check exactly on which step workflow is waiting. It would be quickest if you can paste screenshot and someone will help you very quickly.
    My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Open the system job that shows waiting and you may see some additional information.  You either have a waiting step in your workflow or something is wrong with one of the workflow steps and preventing the job from completing.  
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by XoliswaM Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:30 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:14 PM
  • it can't be it,
    the workflow created is a simple one such as "on create send email"...
    it is not a complecated one, as i said before... the workflow was working perfectly prior to the upgrade!
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:31 AM
  • Many of our clients use IE8 with CRM 4.0 daily without a problem. That said, I visited a client this week who has IE8 and when he attempts to open a record (in a standard built-in form) the new window appear and disappears in less than a second (with all popup blockers turned off). Most of his colleagues use the company-approved IE6 or 7 and none of them have reported the same problem. So, there are quirks that I've seen with all of the combinations of Windows, IE versions, popup blockers, virus protectors, etc.  Still, what you're describing is very odd.

Here's how I'd approach a solution for this, in no particular order:
    - Try the same operations on other machines.
    - Determine whether the workflow is indeed being triggered (assuming nothing is appearing for you in IE8). You can do this by bringing up the workflow queue list on anothe rmachine, querying the AsyncOperationsBase table or set up a SQL profiler job to look for a new entry in that table.
    - Use Fiddler to get a better idea of what your IE8 instance is doing and compare it to working machines.
    - Make sure this is not a security role issue. E.g., are you certain that you're logging on with the same domain account on your new machine?
    - Turn on CRM error-level tracing (via the Registry; search online for "crm 4.0 tracing registry" to find info about how to get tracing working). Anything unexpected showing up in the trace files?
    - Are you seeing any other strange behavior in CRM (or other websites) since moving to Win7/IE8?

Let me know if you'd like me to elaborate more on any of these tips.

Good luck with this... it's a strange problem indeed.

-Tim

Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:24 AM
  • Since the workflow, (actually it is the system job generated from the workflow), goes into a waiting state, it is because there is a problem with the workflow.  Since this workflow is a simple workflow with just a Send E-mail step, then maybe the record that the job is running on doesn't have an e-mail address in the e-mail address field.  Whenever you create a workflow that sends an e-mail, always check the e-mail field that you are pulling from to ensure that field has data first.

The way to check this is to open the system job and see where it failed.   Then take a look at the record that the job is running on and see if you can identify why the workflow failed on that particular record.  You can see this article for more information about optimizing workflows.

Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:54 PM