Issue with verification of remote access RRS feed

• Question

• I recently setup a WHS box on a spare Dell machine I had.  Initially I installed it to do some poking around prior to fully using it.  Everything was working fine, until I started messing around in disk management.  No problem - I knew there was a chance that would screw it up, and I hadn't activated it because I wanted to test the boundaries a bit.

Anyway - onto my question...

I reinstalled as a "new installation" (no data was transferred yet), WHS formatted the drive and everything was good to go.  Now I'm finding an issue that appears to be more of an annoyance than an actual problem.  On Settings -> Remote Access, I turned on the website and had it configure the router and domain name.  I keep getting an error on the "Verifying that Remote Access is available on your home server".

As far as I can tell, everything is working remotely on the server with no problems.  I am able to hit the website, log in, connect to client machines and server, shared folders, etc.  WHS server shows "Healthy" status.

My configuration is as follows:
    - dynamic public IP that connects to xxxx.homeserver.com
    - private DHCP reservation for the WHS box
    - ports correctly forwarded to WHS from router (80, 443, 4125) to private IP

I've tried the various things I've found online and in the "suggested" solutions that are offered by WHS itself:
    - I've turned off the websites, turned them back on.  NO DICE
    - I've verified the configs on the router and rebooted it as well as all other equipment between WHS and the cloud (switches, cable modem), then reconfigured the website.  NO DICE
    - I've "Unconfigured" the router and Domain Name, then reconfigured in the following order:  Domain Name, Router.  NOTHING HERE EITHER

The only suggestion I haven't tried is a repair reinstallation.  However, if everything is working I'm hesitant to do this, especially since it was just activated - calling Microsoft to get the activation override is a PITA.  I also know there's not a problem with the connectivity, since the first installation I had just days before had passed these tests (but told me I may have to configure the router manually - which I did) so I just want to make sure that there isn't a potential problem with the actual WHS installation. 

Sorry for the long post.  Any suggestions?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:10 PM

Answers

• OK,

It could be that Comcast do block. Some reports on here, say they do while others say they don't - maybe it's area dependent?
    Personally, I don't have port 80 open on any of my servers and only allow https access, and when I do that, the verification fails so I just ignore it.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by Phil_Sharp Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:04 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When you say 'hit the website', is that from outside your own network, or internally from a Client? Also, have you read through the Technical Brief for Remote Access, to see if it points to anything.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:26 PM
  • I can reach the WHS Remote Access website internally on my network (via server name) and externally (via DynDNS Domain Name).  I just read through the technical brief and I am able to do everything under the "Testing Remote Access Connectivity" without issue.  I'm not sure if Comcast blocks port 80, but I can only connect to the WHS externally via SSL/https.  I know that 80 is forwarded to the private IP of the WHS box, but I'm at work so I'll have to wait until I get home to verify that the WHS firewall is not blocking port 80 for some reason.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:49 PM
  • OK,

It could be that Comcast do block. Some reports on here, say they do while others say they don't - maybe it's area dependent?
    Personally, I don't have port 80 open on any of my servers and only allow https access, and when I do that, the verification fails so I just ignore it.

Colin

• Marked as answer by Phil_Sharp Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:04 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:57 PM
  • Yeah, I wouldn't connect over http to my server.  The part I found odd was that it passed that test the first time around, but now it's failing.  So you're telling me on your server that you're verification fails as well because you're not passing port 80 thorugh?  If so, cool...I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't an underlying issue here that could cause additional problems further down the line (i.e. once I have ALL of my data migrated over).
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:46 PM