Secret Behind You tube, and more popular sites... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Does anyone know what is the real secret behind the success of YouTube, Flicr and more such FAST growing site? How do they hadel such a complicated and lots of traffic per day?

....Thnx....

Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:27 AM

Answers

• Hello Friend,

Please refer to highscalability.com

It will answer all your questions. I got this from the site:

Why does the High Scalability site exist?

To help you build successful scalable websites.

This site tries to bring together all the lore, art, science, practice, and experience of building scalable websites into one place so you can learn how to build your website with confidence.

When it becomes clear you must grow your website or die, most people have no idea where to start. It's not a skill you learn in school or pick up from a magazine article on a plane flight home. No, building scalable systems is a body of knowledge slowly built up over time from hard won experience and many failed battles. Hopefully this site will move you further and faster along the learning curve of success.

Makers of popular web sites eventually run into this all important question: How do I scale? Every builder of successful web sites must answer and that question and put their answers into practice.

You might wonder:

• How do I handle being digged or slashdotted?
    • What can I accomplish on my budget?
    • How do I add more and more users?
    • What software should I use? LAMP, WAMP, or .Net?
    • Should I use managed or unmanaged systems? Dedicated, co-located, VPS hosting or something else?
    • Which machine and OS should I use?
    • How do I recover from a disaster?
    • How do I measure and improve performance?
    • Where do I get people to help me?
    • Which data center should I use?
    • Which ISP should I use?
    • How can I structure my software to scale?
    • How do we setup caching?
    • What should my database schema look like?
    • Which database should I use?
    • Which language and framework should I use?
    • How do I ensure my data is always available and never lost?
    • How do I monitor all my software and machines?
    • How do I train my programmers to build this type of software?
    • How do I failover my web servers, databases, etc?
    • How do I expand to multiple geographical locations?
    • How should I handle session data?
    • How do I handle support and upgrades and feature rollouts?

You probably have 1000s of questions like these. Where do you find the answers? The answers are out there. How to build a scalable website is not a secret, the information is just spread out. And it's still more art than science. Every problem is different. Your site may have specific requirements that make it just different enough that you could use some advice.

And that's what this site is all about. Bringing like-minded people together to help each learn everything we can about creating the best websites we can.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:34 AM