Microsoft CRM Data Import/Update RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so a load of data was imported to my CRM, including contact names, business names, business address etc. (around 90,000 to be precise)

Originally it was in the form of 2 spreadsheets, but when i check the imports, it has been split into around 10-15 smaller imports, the guy who imported the data no doubt had perfectly good reasons for this.

Now I have created some custom fields, and the data that I want to populate these custom fields is on the original spreadsheets, so I would like to re-import the same data, using the 2 original spreadsheets, but do not wish to duplicate anything, just for the data to populate the new custom fields.

Perhaps there is a way, like in the duplicate detection, to set rules? I.e if the name and phone number are the same, then populate the new fields using the new data uploaded, but not change any other data?

Basically what i want to do is keep everything exactly the same, just use the data on the old 2 spreadsheets to populate the missing data in my 'Leads'

Any help would be much appreciated!

Adam

Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:59 PM

Answers

• Yeah I understand concern here.

If you have only modified some field values and are then trying to import, it should be fine, CRM internally takes care of it pretty well.

Take a look at the article if you have any doubts
    https://community.dynamics.com/crm/b/crmlessons/archive/2011/06/16/crm-2011-data-import-wizard.aspx#.UZ4k-ZxnK_w

Please don't forget to mark the answer, if it helps. Piyush

• Marked as answer by Adamp83 Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:31 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:19 PM
  • Yes absolutely, they must be the exact same.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:30 PM
  • No worries buddy :)

Yes it will fill in the missing records for you. I would personally recommend by doing an import for a few records i.e. 5-10 (with the changes included), then you can verify the results and go ahead with larger chunk of records.

• Marked as answer by Adamp83 Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:44 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:40 PM

All replies

• Oh, its CRM 2011 Online!

Adam

Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Hi Adam,

While importing any data CRM gives you an option to choose what needs to be done to duplicate records (in the import wizard itself).

You can toggle this setting to your requirements.

• Edited by Piyush Paliwal Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:12 PM Added Screenshot
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:06 PM
  • Hi Piyush,

Thanks for your reply. Thing is, i am new to crm, and the options dont seen intuitive to me. Will it overwrite all the fields? how will CRM know where to populate my new data etc?

I dont want to trial and error it and ruin the whole database lol.

Adam

Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:08 PM

If you have only modified some field values and are then trying to import, it should be fine, CRM internally takes care of it pretty well.

https://community.dynamics.com/crm/b/crmlessons/archive/2011/06/16/crm-2011-data-import-wizard.aspx#.UZ4k-ZxnK_w

Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:19 PM

Brilliant Piyush, thank you!

One last quick question... Do the column names have to be an exact match to the name of the fields i wish to be populated in CRM?

Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:25 PM
  • Yes absolutely, they must be the exact same.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Sorry to be a pain Piyush, but won't it recognise everything as a duplicate?

Will it still fill in the missing fields?

Thank you for all your help!

Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:35 PM
  • No worries buddy :)

Yes it will fill in the missing records for you. I would personally recommend by doing an import for a few records i.e. 5-10 (with the changes included), then you can verify the results and go ahead with larger chunk of records.

• Marked as answer by Adamp83 Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:44 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:40 PM
  • You're awesome.

Thank you my friend!

Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:44 PM