M+DlxSunset mute in Win8 RRS feed

• Question

• Is it just me?

I just installed Sunset on Win8 and it's mute. The sound events are there, but no sounds are registered...

Saturday, December 29, 2012 11:50 AM

All replies

• Answer seems to be either Run the install As Adminstrator and/or Run As adminstrator at first startup.

And Microsoft wonders why people are abandoning Windows foressentially anything else.

Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:29 PM
  • This morning, we have no sounds again.

If you are pondering moving to Windows 8, I have one word to offer. Headache.

Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:18 PM
  • On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 18:18:46 +0000, Dick Watson wrote:

>
    >
    >This morning, we have no sounds again.
    >
    >If you are pondering moving to Windows 8, I have one word to offer. Headache.

Why did you move to W8?

I have found an every other (or so) OS move to be beneficial.  So I went from W97 --> XP --> W7  (skipping W2000 and Vista).
    Of course, if I were purchasing a new computer with a touch screen, I might try W8, but I have no intention of doing that in the near future.

Ron
    Sunday, December 30, 2012 8:13 PM
  • "It seemed like such a good idea at the time..."

Basically the motivations were, in no particular order, I'm planning on upgrading to Office13 365 Home Premium and that made my Vista client a problem, got a deal on the licenses--less than Microsoft's download price for real media, I'm a shill for Microsoft, I like living on the computing edge, there are some good things about it, and (temporary?) insanity.

There really are some good things about it. But oh, so many petty and not so petty annoyances. I understand that MS has an existential fear of being left out of the mobile computing space. I get that. But what they did isn't, by a long shot, good enough to get them in it, and it's such a huge impact (mostly transitional, but some forever) to the users in the market they do control that it just seems like shooting both feet at once.

Of the three machines I now have "running" it, only one really qualifies as sorted out. The second has tremendous insomnia problems if running printer and file sharing. The third, my laptop, had just been a nightmare--I'm on my fourth install--and it is far from over. The most significant issue is that if I configure all three of my LAN WiFis, only the last one can see both the Internet and the intranet when I'm done. No apparent reason. Racking brain. And then there are nagging issues on the other two like Money sounds and the disconnect between how Win8 really encourages you to setup user accounts and how WHS2011 tolerates you setting up user accounts.

Beyond that, I've mostly gotten to the point of dealing with the f*ed-up UI--contrary to the popular reports, the missing Start menu is the least of the problems. All the other stuff that's half in one UI and half in the other and the stuff they just fundamentally broke dumbing it down at the user interface (but keeping it complicated as ever under the covers but now no way to get at all of that complication) for the Phablet UI is the real issue.

Monday, December 31, 2012 6:47 AM
  • On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 06:47:36 +0000, Dick Watson wrote:

>
    >
    >"It seemed like such a good idea at the time..."
    >
    >Basically the motivations were, in no particular order, I'm planning on upgrading to Office13 365 Home Premium and that made my Vista client a problem, got a deal on the licenses--less than Microsoft's download price for real media, I'm a shill for Microsoft, I like living on the computing edge, there are some good things about it, and (temporary?) insanity.

Hmm.  I find that as I age, it becomes more difficult to live on the edge :-(

My wife is about to buy a high end laptop to replace one of her machines (a Vista computer).  It sounds like I should be pleased to be able to avoid W8 -- the one she's looking at does not have a touch screen, and the company doesn't even offer W8 as an option yet!
    Although the computers with W8 on display at the local stores look very cool at first glance.

Ron
    Monday, December 31, 2012 8:00 AM
  • The answer to Money Plus Sunset event sounds in Win8: set the file properties of the install file, before running it, to Compatibility: Windows 7. If you've already installed to find this problem, you will need to uninstall and then reinstall as Windows 7 Compatibility.

A Microsoft Level 2 guy suggested this as a possibility while we were talking about Win8 issues I have while waiting for a diagnostic to complete on a Win8 problem he had no fix for. So he got half a point.

Friday, March 15, 2013 11:58 PM