WIndows 8 install failure RRS feed

• Question

• I am excited about windows 8 and want to start developing in that environment or at least get a head start but got an error at boot up.

Steps:

1. Burned ISO to disk using Windows.

2. Ran installation and selected to keep files and settings.

3. Uninstalled any incompatible software (I did not need it on system anyway).

4. System rebooted and continued to install after logging into windows.

5. Install completed in windows and rebooted.

6. Windows 8 logo shows and settings are updating (does this twice).

7. Windows 8 logo shows and then goes to a dim lit black screen.

8. It stays there for a very long time before rebooting.

NOTE * It does this over and over again and if I try to go into safe mode it says windows failed to install or if I power down the system since it took about 4 hours it says windows failed to install and in both cases it rolles back to windows 7.

I do have a Linux partition on this HDD but I do not think that would affect it and grub is the boot loader.

I am installing on a Dell - I5 - 4G RAM - Intel 3000 graphics (That should be plenty of power for Windows 8).

• Moved by Mike Dos Zhang Friday, October 12, 2012 4:33 AM not a Windows Desktop dev question (From:General Windows Desktop Development Issues)
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:30 PM

Answers

• I found the resolution to this issue.

I installed Windows 8 and when it booted to do the walk through of setting up my environment I had a black screen.  I believe some people have the black screen in other parts of the installation or afterwards.  Many of the issues reported are with Dell w/Intel graphics chips.  The way to get your screen to work on your laptop is to do the following:

1: Connect an external VGA Monitor (You may need to hit FN+F1 to switch to external monitor).

2. Complete Setup of Windows 8 (if not already completed).

3. Navigate to your manufacturers website and search for drivers (I used my service tag on dell to locate mine).

4. Install latest drivers for Windows 8.

In my case the only drivers available were two for the bios.  I installed both drivers and after that second reboot I was in business.  The system runs smooth and I have not had any issues.  Research on the web states you need graphics drivers but that was not the case for me.  Many sites and blogs that I have read state for Dell laptops, its a bios driver issue that needs to be installed.  Updating the drivers was well worth the troubles because Windows 8 is a great OS to get used to.  I hope this helps others who may have the same issue.

• Marked as answer by LluvianBlack Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:55 AM
    • Edited by LluvianBlack Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:55 AM Correct steps
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:54 AM

All replies

• Friday, October 12, 2012 4:33 AM
  • I found the resolution to this issue.

I installed Windows 8 and when it booted to do the walk through of setting up my environment I had a black screen.  I believe some people have the black screen in other parts of the installation or afterwards.  Many of the issues reported are with Dell w/Intel graphics chips.  The way to get your screen to work on your laptop is to do the following:

1: Connect an external VGA Monitor (You may need to hit FN+F1 to switch to external monitor).

2. Complete Setup of Windows 8 (if not already completed).

3. Navigate to your manufacturers website and search for drivers (I used my service tag on dell to locate mine).

4. Install latest drivers for Windows 8.

In my case the only drivers available were two for the bios.  I installed both drivers and after that second reboot I was in business.  The system runs smooth and I have not had any issues.  Research on the web states you need graphics drivers but that was not the case for me.  Many sites and blogs that I have read state for Dell laptops, its a bios driver issue that needs to be installed.  Updating the drivers was well worth the troubles because Windows 8 is a great OS to get used to.  I hope this helps others who may have the same issue.

• Marked as answer by LluvianBlack Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:55 AM
    • Edited by LluvianBlack Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:55 AM Correct steps
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:54 AM