Home Server Login Issue: Can No Longer Access WHS - Network Logon Failure - Acct Currently Disabled RRS feed

• Question

• We have been using our home server for almost a year and have 6 accounts on it. It is used in our small office to share information, and we all have mapped drives to a Shared folder there. I have been accessing it ever since it was installed, but for some reason it occasionally blocks people from access. It has happened to a few of us, and it currently happens to me. If I try and access the shared drive in the HP Home Server, it says "Error while connecting. Microsoft Windows Network Logon Failure - Account Currently Disabled". So, I cant get to it locally on our internal LAN, but if I go outside I can log into through the remote interface with no problem.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? It happened to someone else, and it seemed to resolve itself after a few days.

Thanks -

Bob
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 4:39 PM

All replies

• Sounds like its repeatably failing the account authentication and locking the account. Are you sure all your users have the same user/password between their machines and WHS?

You may have to disable the account lockout settings (requires registry edits or Group Policy Editor changes)
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:24 PM
  • How are the accounts locked? I cant find any place to unlock the user account on the console. They are logging in with the same user account and password that is on the home server.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 2:24 PM
  • You can check and unlock user accounts by logging on through remote desktop to WHS using the Administrator account and then going to Start > right click My Computer > click on Manage > choose Local Users and Groups > then choose Users

From here you can double click on the user account and see if the account is locked out. If it is the Account Lockout check box will be checked and enabled. To remove the lockout simply uncheck the box and hit apply. 

On a side note WHS is set to do an account lockout after 50 consecutive login failures for 30 minutes. So it may be wise look at the security log in the event viewer to get an idea of what is going on. This should tell you when and if users have successfully logged on to WHS. In the computer management console which is the same place where you accessed Local Users and Groups go to Event Viewer > Security and it will show you all the successful and unsuccessful login attempts to WHS.

Also, if you want to tweak or disable account lockout you can use the group policy editor to view and edit WHS lockout policy, though this probably not a supported scenario. Having said that go to Start > Run > type "gpedit.msc" > choose Windows Settings > Security Settings > Account Policy > Account Lockout Policy

From here you can set how many attempts before lockout, how long the lockout is, and how long since the last failed login attempt to reset the lockout counter.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:33 AM