none
Dynamic DNS setup process timing out after rebuild RRS feed

• Question

• I had a severe disk crash on my WHS server so have had to start from scratch - have done it before (last time it was a motherboard that went taking out the disk on its way). I have the software all installed and all updates applied but I am stuck trying to retrieve the domain name it has been using - after a few hours of looking at this (and many different errors) it looks like the Homeserver DynDNS web service (LiveDynDnsService on https://dyndns.domains.live.com/service/livedyndns.asmx) is running a bit slow and so I am getting a timeout at various stages.

So the process goes:

• Open WHS Console / Settings / Remote Access
    • Click Configure or Repair button (both take me to the Domain name configuration wizard)
    • Enter my email address and password
    • (at this point I can get error 0x80048051 but I can click Back button and simply try again, after 3 to 7 tries it takes me to next step)
    • Leave it as selecting my current registered domain name and click next
    • It sometimes fails immediately or, more often, takes just over 30 seconds and then gives me error 0x80072ee2
    • It took some hunting but I found the logs for this (and many other WHS processes) are located in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs" and sure enough there is a log called ddns-{date}.log (the date is in some strange order of mmddyy but there you go)
    • I opened the log and found it was logging a load of errors each time I went through the process, sure enough you see the 80048051 error but eventually see it generating a CSR and then, 30 seconds (which I happen to know is .NET's defsult timeout on web services, having built a few SOAP services myself in the past) it throws the error 0x8004005 (basically a timeout) which it then reports to the console as 0x80072ee2

If I can provide any other information to help someone debug this on the web service side for me then please do let me know but this is quite urgent as I use this server as my email server so am not getting any emails at the moment.

• Edited by FixItDik Monday, September 30, 2019 1:19 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2019 1:52 PM

All replies

• I just got a new error: 0x800706be - looking it up on the web this means "RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE" - basically the server has gone down now, is there some maintenance going on the servers at the moment?
    Friday, September 27, 2019 2:50 PM
  • OMG - I just got "No such interface is supported 80004002"...?
    Friday, September 27, 2019 2:52 PM
  • OK, getting desperate I tried a new domain name, got exactly the same problems / errors as earlier (so looks like the server is available again but not fixed) and I note that the new domain name has now been registered against my account so this really does look like it is only related to the generation of the SSL certificate - is there anyone from Microsoft available to investigate (as I believe the Dynamic DNS service of Homeserver is something that is meant to still be supported for more recent Home Server versions, so don't believe they will turn it off yet)?
    Friday, September 27, 2019 3:23 PM
  • Workaround employed (edited my DNS record to point to my home IP address and not using SSL) but that'll only keep me going until my IP address changes again at which point I will have to notice and go update my DNS record again - thankfully I don't use SSL that much for it to matter but I really got used to the Dynamic DNS service - can anyone out there help resolve this issue or just report they are seeing the same - maybe it is not a general problem with the service but something in my CSR that is kicking a bug in the service no one else is getting - clearly there's a problem with the service though if it is just timing out rather than reporting an error so I am suspecting other people are starting to see this?
    Saturday, September 28, 2019 6:07 PM
  • Am I to assume no one else is seeing this issue? I am still without Dynamic DNS service and try every other day to see if something has been fixed at Microsoft but no change but also no one has posted any comment or reply here - feel a little lonely and ignored :(
    Monday, October 7, 2019 8:49 AM