Proxy Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, We have out internet conections behind a corperate proxy server that requires a username and password.

When one of the users logs into a work station WgaTray.exe runs and tries to get to the net, bringing up a login box.

The users are getting disgruntled having to deal with interuption.

Is there any way this can be made so it runs when IE is started. (or not at all)?

Friday, June 16, 2006 4:46 AM

Answers

• Mark,

Due to growing customer feedback (primarily forum feedback) - we're definitely addressing this with our next release.

-phil liu

Friday, June 16, 2006 5:51 PM

All replies

• Mark,

Due to growing customer feedback (primarily forum feedback) - we're definitely addressing this with our next release.

-phil liu

Friday, June 16, 2006 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

I am having the same problem with the proxy server requiring a ID and password every logon in my computer labs.

Can you make it so wgatray.exe doesn't run for USERS as they have no rights anyway, I can deal with the Administrators another way.

By what you have said it looks like I will have to find a third party site with a work around just to get my labs running. The only other way is for me to run an unpatched OS.

Monday, June 26, 2006 2:25 AM
  • Sappa:

Our newest release will incorporate the requested change. I'll update you when it comes out (very soon) and give you a direct link for it.

-phil liu

Monday, June 26, 2006 6:45 AM
  • Hi,
    i have also this problem. Users do not want to type in account and password every time they login.

Also the tool does not work correct. The windows version is genuine; the online-validation via website recognizes that it is original windows, but because of problems with connecting via proxy at startup the message "not original" is displayed.

It would really like to deinstall the tool until it works - i dont like it, that things are proposed as "critical update", cannot be removed and dont work.

I think the windows update service had some proxy problem as well - they solved it in some way. I hope WGA will work with all "normal" configuration.
    Sunday, July 2, 2006 10:30 AM
  • As always I'll italisise my question so there is no confusion.

i have also this problem. Users do not want to type in account and password every time they login.

Frankly, knowing how my firewalls work I doubt that there is a technical solution at a desktop level unless they store the username and password in registry (arrrghhh bigest-sin-possible).

My question: Is it possible to set up my corporations WSUS servers so they don't push this WGA-Notifications program to any of "my" desktops?

As we have a VLK and undergo annual license compliance checks we see little need in having our users log into the firewall so the tray program can send tracking XML back to MS for verification.

In my eyes, in a corporation or government department, it should be the ICT departments responsibility to ensure compliance is kept, not the user with a tool clearly meant for the domestic market.
    Sunday, July 2, 2006 12:13 PM
  •                             to whom it may concern

a friend gave me my computer and i tryed to play games

on it and thats when i found out that my windows wasn't

genuine,so what do i doabout it.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 3:08 PM
  • We are planning a migration from Windows 2000 to Windows XP at the place I work.  Does this mean that ALL users will need internet access?  This is not the current policy, many jobs do not require internet access and controlling it reduces abuse.

How is Microsoft looking at changing this, Phil?

Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:14 PM