none
WGA - Now 'validated' (again) but system now freezing... RRS feed

• Question

• Sunday evening, restarted my PC and get the black screen and 'you may be a victim of counterfeiting' etc... This on a system that has passed every WGA validation for the past three years or so with no problem whatsoever... Couldn't be sure, but there was a slim chance that about three years ago when i had a system crash I used the wrong windows disc (but still legal - we have two PC's) to reinstall, and that some new parameter of WGA had noticed this for the first time(?). So applying this logic I downloaded the keyupdate tool to make sure the key on the OS matched the hologram on the tower...
    All went fine, passed all validations with flying colours, and thought that was it.
    THEN after making the changes I thought it would be a good idea to back up my whole system to my external drive, using Acronis. Has failed five times, generally after about 20-30 mins. I know it's not acronis or the external HD or my USB port, as all have worked perfectly prior to this WGA notification and the former/latter still do on my laptop. The USB port is doing everything it should if i connect other hardware, and even for smaller file transfers to/from the external HD. It's just bigger file transfers that are completely freezing the system and forcing me to 'hard boot' (and disconnect the equally frozen ext HD which springs back into life as soon as it's removed from the locked PC)... i tried to 'roll back' using windows system restore to my pre 'failed' WGA installation (with the idea of re-entering the product key before a nag screen is installed and appears), but system restore won't work - presumably because important registry settings have now been changed. I've since discovered my DVD burner is also freezing if I give it a full 4gb + task to perform...
    These are all variations on themes/issues that are appearing all over the net and these forums regarding WGA updates (though I've noted most other frozen systems come during validation rather than post validation). Basically, on Sunday evening microsoft's own software failed to recognise a legal copy of it's own OS. After some input from me microsoft's own software now accepts that I do have a legal copy of their OS, but during the process of me proving that my system - as far as making system back-ups, burning DVD's and/or using system restore (and maybe worse i've yet to discover)-  is completely fubarred.
    Advised of all this by e-mail, their support send me a reply listing all of the 'self help' steps i've already taken and advised them of and a phone number for an 0870 (premium rate) helpline.
    Adding insult to injury, I'm fairly sure I asked windows to advise me of what updates it downloaded so i could avoid KB905474 because of the probs it was causing other (legal) users... dunno quite how it got in under the radar; must have been asleep or something (?)
    Anyhoo, any suggestions as to what has been changed or installed on my system by WGA to create these crashes greatly appreciated. It's not, according to my antivirus/firewall/malware programmes, anything like that, and various utilities have given my hardware an all clear.
    Thanks
    whythehell
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:42 PM

Answers

• Hello whythehell,

Your XP is showing Genuine and I see no error occuring in any WGA systems.  

There is nothing in WGA that has any interaction with File Transfers, DVD Drives or USB ports or drivers. 

Without a Diagnostic Report form the time when your XP showed Non-Genuine, I can't tell you why it occured. But when WGA notifies that a system may be non-Genuine, that is all it does...Notify.  WGA in XP does not limit any functionality (your background may turn black and non-genuine message may be displayed, but that is it).

Without any link between the issues you are experiencing and WGA (i.e. no non-genuine messages, no error messages stating that a wga file has caused a critical error of some sort or any log file showing a WGA componet misbehaving) I can only conclude that the issues you are seeing are unrelated to WGA.  (I have a feeling that whatever is causing the your freezes, USB and File transfer problems, may have also been responsible for WGA suddenly notifing the system may be non-Genuine)

I recommend reposting your issue in one of the XP Newsgroups http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx or go to http://support.microsoft.com for additional support options.  I also recommend doing complete Anti-Virus scan of your computer, just in case. 

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hello whythehell,

In forum announcements, see "Please Run MGA Diagnostic Before Posting"
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Hello whythehell,

In forum announcenments, see "Please Run MGA Diagnostic Before Posting"
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp

Hi Dan -

Done that, and got 'genuine' for both O/S and office (see below):

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-77DXQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: bc9nZCzFS2pzL3OFjcoEiglpmi0=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2216415-92761
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {F27FB403-623F-4773-B4B3-C2E9B282D6BC}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{F27FB403-623F-4773-B4B3-C2E9B282D6BC}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-77DXQ</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2216415-92761</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1708537768-484061587-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>P4M80P</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050919000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>746333F70184205D</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>380127C7D719773</Val><Hash>MVLRaWQnI9P4NrKoLlMvtQsZm6k=</Hash><Pid>89446-953-3623356-65832</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

------------

(I've 'asterisked' all but the last five digits of the key as i wasn't sure how much should show in this thread)...

With regard to the other questions:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

XP Pro 1-2 CPU

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

No

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

No

It matches the 'Blue' version shown on 'how to tell', with all the holograms etc, but not with OEM or manufacturer name. Came with recovery disc as described.

wth

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Hello whythehell,

Your XP is showing Genuine and I see no error occuring in any WGA systems.  

There is nothing in WGA that has any interaction with File Transfers, DVD Drives or USB ports or drivers. 

Without a Diagnostic Report form the time when your XP showed Non-Genuine, I can't tell you why it occured. But when WGA notifies that a system may be non-Genuine, that is all it does...Notify.  WGA in XP does not limit any functionality (your background may turn black and non-genuine message may be displayed, but that is it).

Without any link between the issues you are experiencing and WGA (i.e. no non-genuine messages, no error messages stating that a wga file has caused a critical error of some sort or any log file showing a WGA componet misbehaving) I can only conclude that the issues you are seeing are unrelated to WGA.  (I have a feeling that whatever is causing the your freezes, USB and File transfer problems, may have also been responsible for WGA suddenly notifing the system may be non-Genuine)

I recommend reposting your issue in one of the XP Newsgroups http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx or go to http://support.microsoft.com for additional support options.  I also recommend doing complete Anti-Virus scan of your computer, just in case. 

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Hello whatthehell,

There are three easy checks you can do on your system that altogether cover a lot of potential troublespots:

1.  Look in the eventviewer to see if XP is reporting any error conditions.

2.  Run a memory checker:  http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

3.  Run the diagnostic program supplied by the manufacturer of your hard disk drive.

I did notice this entry in your mgadiag report:
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 - 100 Genuine

This is showing that you have a Volume Licensing-Only edition of Office 2007 installed on the computer, Pro Plus 2007.  I bring this to your attention because this is a commonly pirated edition of Office.  Quite often this edition of Office is counterfeited and sold as Office Pro 2007 complete with a genuine-looking hologrammed CD and Certificate of Authenticity.

If you purchased this copy of Office thinking it was Office Professional 2007, especially from an online auction, it's most likely a counterfeit copy.

On the other hand, Pro Plus is properly used in places were a large number of Office installations have to be centrally installed and managed, such as in a large business, educational, or governmental setting.  If your use of Pro Plus is accociated with one of these settings, and you are for example an employee, faculty or student at such, your use of Pro Plus is probably genuine.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:12 PM