How do I specify Bidirectional in the designer RRS feed

• Question

• Visual Studio 2008.  I am configuring the data synchronization through the Configure Data Synchronization designer form and am trying to figure out how to specify Bidirectional.  I do not see the option anywhere.  After initial creation and testing I discovered it was not uploading changes, and found where I needed to go into the designer.cs file to add the this.SyncDirection = Bidirectional to each synctable InitializeTableOptions method.  This worked fine during development.

However, I'm now running into a problem where this is client work so I've done all my development against my own instance.  I've delivered it them and when they run the project they get the 'Unable to enumerate changes at the DbServerSyncProvider error'.  My research indicates that this is because they are syncing against a different server then I am and thus do not have any of the change tracking info.  The solution to that problem is that they need to recreate the initial sync.  The only way I know to do that is through the visual studio designer, which will update the designer.cs and remove my SyncDirection settings.

So I either need to know how to specify Bidirectional in the designer, or an alternate way for them to redo the initial sync that doesn't overwrite my manual changes.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:18 PM

All replies

• there is no option to specify bidirectional in the designer. however, there is an option in the designer to save SQL Scripts that provisions the server for synching. so you have to modify the generated code to change the sync direction and you can run the sql script to provision the server. If you used the built-in SQL Change Tracking, you can also simply enable Change Tracking for the database and the tables using SQL Management Studio.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:08 AM