Access alert RRS feed

• Question

• When a remote location takes control of the Computer I get an indication that it is being done (at least on Vista).

However, when the shared folders are being accessed from a remote location I do not see any indication that this is happening.

I really need to know when someone hooks up remotely and does anything on any of my systems.

With out some sort of indicator I would never set this product up for remote access and to me that is one of the reasons I would buy it.........assuming it is cheap!!

Bob

Monday, March 19, 2007 7:28 PM

Answers

• If you check, you'll find that the security event log on WHS will show you who logs in and when. That includes logging in to the remote access web site.

It's less useful than it might be, because the security log also contains large numbers of "heartbeats" from the client PCs on your network, but it's there.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 7:51 PM
  •  Bob Millard wrote:

That is way to hard.

I would like a nice report of who has been remotely (off premise) accessing my server.

That could probably be done with any of a number of event log analysis tools. Some are easier to use than others. None does everything that one might wish.

I've used NTLast in the past...

Bob Millard wrote:
    I do have another question...

Is there some way to access these logs from one of my machines or do I have to physically go to the server to see these logs?

Being as how the server is not suppose to have keyboard and monitor I would think there must be a way, but I have not stumpled across it so far.

Umm, have you tried remote desktop? There are ways to get at the event logs on a remote machine, but Remote Desktop is probably easier for the occasional user.

Monday, March 26, 2007 2:42 PM

All replies

• If you check, you'll find that the security event log on WHS will show you who logs in and when. That includes logging in to the remote access web site.

It's less useful than it might be, because the security log also contains large numbers of "heartbeats" from the client PCs on your network, but it's there.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 7:51 PM
  • Ken

Thank you, I will go have a look.

Bob

Monday, March 26, 2007 1:54 PM
  • That is way to hard.

I would like a nice report of who has been remotely (off premise) accessing my server.

Is there some way to access these logs from one of my machines or do I have to physically go to the server to see these logs?

Being as how the server is not suppose to have keyboard and monitor I would think there must be a way, but I have not stumpled across it so far.

Thanks again

Bob

Monday, March 26, 2007 2:18 PM
  •  Bob Millard wrote:

That is way to hard.

That could probably be done with any of a number of event log analysis tools. Some are easier to use than others. None does everything that one might wish.

I've used NTLast in the past...

Bob Millard wrote:

Being as how the server is not suppose to have keyboard and monitor I would think there must be a way, but I have not stumpled across it so far.

Umm, have you tried remote desktop? There are ways to get at the event logs on a remote machine, but Remote Desktop is probably easier for the occasional user.

Monday, March 26, 2007 2:42 PM