I don't want to pay twice RRS feed

• Question

• The supplier of this machine is no longer trading. The supplier of this machine did not supply a disc with the machine. The hdd was replaced 2 years ago and since I did not have the disc, nor could obtain it, I deliberately put a copy of xp on the machine I knew was invalid.

It is my third machine. I have two genuine xps, home and pro on the two others, plus registered lisenced office 2005, 2000 and 97.

That is over two thousand dollars in microsoft software already. Paying twice for the third copy is over the top imho.

I still have the key for the third copy taped to the case.

Is there a more economical workaround for my situation than purchasing another copy of xp?

-another related issue. It is well known that windows vista is shortly to be released. Is that not discouragement to buy xp? Better to wait for vista.

best

warwick

Friday, May 26, 2006 12:16 AM

Answers

• Warwick,

If the computer in question has a genuine Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the chassis, as it would if it were properly licensed when it was given to you by the manufacturer/seller at the time of purchase, then the computer would already be licensed to run Windows (XP presumably) and it would simply be a matter of getting the right media so you could install XP properly to pass Validation.

Is that what you mean by this statement?  "I still have the key for the third copy taped to the case."

If what you have taped to the case is a genuine COA, look and tell us, does it have a PC manufacturer's name on it, or does it say "OEM software."  If it says OEM software, then it's very likely all you need is a systembuilder/OEM CD.  In this case the actual CD is irrelevant--any systembuilder/OEM CD will work, even a burned copy.  There are no product keys on the CD.  The license is not the CD, it's the COA.  If the version (Home or Pro) of XP on the COA matches what's installed, then a repair reinstallation with a systembuilder/OEM CD using the Product Key on the presumably valid COA will "legalize" your installation of XP.  If the versions are different (say the COA is for Home and the installed is Pro) then you will have to do a clean installation since there is no way to "revert" a Pro installation back to Home without starting over.

If it says a computer manufacturer's name, then you will most likely need the manufacturer's recovery CDs to utilize the existing license.

Friday, May 26, 2006 1:42 AM