Avast! vs F-Secure RRS feed

• Question

• Any opinions on which antivirus is best? I know we don't have a whole lot of options yet. But I would like to stick with a product that is specifically designed for Windows Home Server.

What I'm primarily concerned about is strictly it's ability to effectively and efficiently find and quarantine viruses/spyware/malware/etc. That would have to include it's ability to automatically update itself, and how quickly and effectively the company can respond to threats. I'm not familiar with either company and am curious how they compare to Symmantec, Trend Micro,  McAfee, and others.

I realize that Avast will manage up to 10 PC's whereas F-Secure is strictly a server product. I don't want that difference to sway anyone's opinion of one product over the other. I don't care about any of the client machines, all I want is the most effective solution that will keep infected files off the server. That would include real-time scanning so that a virus is quarantined immediately rather than it having its way with the server until the next scheduled scan.

I only pretend like I know what I'm doing
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 12:31 AM

All replies

• I Think I Swallowed A Bug said:

Any opinions on which antivirus is best? I know we don't have a whole lot of options yet. But I would like to stick with a product that is specifically designed for Windows Home Server.

What I'm primarily concerned about is strictly it's ability to effectively and efficiently find and quarantine viruses/spyware/malware/etc. That would have to include it's ability to automatically update itself, and how quickly and effectively the company can respond to threats. I'm not familiar with either company and am curious how they compare to Symmantec, Trend Micro,  McAfee, and others.

I realize that Avast will manage up to 10 PC's whereas F-Secure is strictly a server product. I don't want that difference to sway anyone's opinion of one product over the other. I don't care about any of the client machines, all I want is the most effective solution that will keep infected files off the server. That would include real-time scanning so that a virus is quarantined immediately rather than it having its way with the server until the next scheduled scan.

I use avast! (on both server and clients).  I am pleased with it.  I like the ability to control the A/V on all of my PCs from a single location (the Console).  Having said that, I haven't used F-Secure, so I can't give you a comparison of the two.
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 2:39 AM
  • kariya21 said:

I Think I Swallowed A Bug said:

Any opinions on which antivirus is best? I know we don't have a whole lot of options yet. But I would like to stick with a product that is specifically designed for Windows Home Server.

I use avast! (on both server and clients).  I am pleased with it.  I like the ability to control the A/V on all of my PCs from a single location (the Console).  Having said that, I haven't used F-Secure, so I can't give you a comparison of the two.

Ditto! I also use & am happy with Avast! I have not tried F-Secure either.
    Bud - Alameda, CA
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 4:06 AM
  • I think you will find a difference in price also, last I checked anyway. Avast is a much better deal with a 2 or 3 year licence about the same as a 1 year for F secure. I did install F secure on one of my severs and it seems it is geared slightly more for internet protection threats and also has good anti virus protection. Avast seems to be more focused on virus protection and as others have said incorporates managing your clients (if you have avast on them also) from the console. I am using Avast on both servers and am very satisfied with it.

Mark G.
    • Edited by Lunker 1 Sunday, November 9, 2008 4:31 AM
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 4:28 AM
  • Hello Bug

I used avast but is too slow for my server I see a big difference in performance with and without avast, I guess it scan the files when you access them.
    Never used F secure.

Best Regards.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 5:02 AM
  • How is te hardware basis of your server?
    Minimum RAM (512 MB) and a few Add-Ins slow down each machine.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 5:19 PM
  • I have the HP MediaSmart ex470. So it has the 1.8GHz AMD Sempron 3400+ with 512MB of RAM. Although I will be upgrading that today to 2GB. I was considering the processor upgrade to the 2.6GHz AMD LE-1640 Orleans, but performance seems to be fine for now. Maybe after install an antivirus I'll notice the performance hit and it'll encourage me to upgrade the processor.

Does anyone have an opinion about Avast vs F-Secure as a company? Lets say we weren't talking about Windows Home Server products. Which company would you trust more to protect your PC's at home? And leave price out of the equation. The difference in price between most of these products isn't enough to sway my decision one way or the other.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 8:14 PM