none
Home Server Recovery Help Needed!! RRS feed

• Question

• I just had my computer wiped out and lost everything.  Good news is I backed everything up on WHS.  I've downloaded and burned a recovery disk on DVD format.  I've loaded the recovery software via my CD rom drive and even connected to the WHS.  After I identify my backed up PC and recovered it.   

Nothing seems to work.  I get an error message saying that OS can be found?  Question:  What are the next steps after the recovery process has completed?  Should it be automatic?  Do I need to hit F2 and turn back on the "boot order."  Do I need to take out the CD rom?....Nothing seems to work.

Please help me! 

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:06 PM

All replies

• I just had my computer wiped out and lost everything.  Good news is I backed everything up on WHS.  I've downloaded and burned a recovery disk on DVD format.  I've loaded the recovery software via my CD rom drive and even connected to the WHS.  After I identify my backed up PC and recovered it.   

Nothing seems to work.  I get an error message saying that OS can be found?  Question:  What are the next steps after the recovery process has completed?  Should it be automatic?  Do I need to hit F2 and turn back on the "boot order."  Do I need to take out the CD rom?....Nothing seems to work.

Please help me!

What OS are you trying to restore?  (But yes, you should take out the CD after the restore is complete.  :)  )
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 2:11 AM
  • Running Vista.  WHS say's transfer was complete....not sure what to do next.  I don't get any options.  What should happen after I remove the CD?   Please help 
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 6:14 PM
  • What was it for an PC?

If it was a machine from an OEM you could have had a hidden partition with OEM specific information on the disk, so that the boot information now points to the wrong volume, if you try to boot from the restored disk. First I would try in this case would be to boot from the Vista DVD and try if the Startup repair can solve the issue. Eventually you may also have to set the disk active and/or edit the boot info manually.

Which volumes did you transfer? If you attach the disk to a second PC or open a cmd prompt in the System Repair options of the Vista DVD you can check, if the expected content can be seen on the volume.

Also, what is the exact error message? If no operating system is found and your PC has more than one disk, a reason could also be that the PC does not boot from the expected disk - check the Bios settings in this situation.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:41 PM
  • I just booted up my computer and I got a sony "vaio" recovery center.  It's asking me to choose a program.

Windows System Restore

Vaio Hardware Diagnostics

Restore C: drive

Rescue Data.

Need sure what to pick? 

Thursday, July 1, 2010 10:16 PM
  • Let me repeat: Which volumes did you transfer?

If you get now the Sony Vaio recovery center, we run into an OEM specific situation, which is hardly to support without having the device in front, since each OEM cooks its own soup. Maybe the wrong volume is set to active? In this case you could use diskpart to set the Windows system volume to active instead.

What you could try, is to restore C: drive (which will overwrite the entire C: drive with the Sony default configuration). If this did work and successfully boots, try another restore, this time restoring only the former volume C: overwriting the C: drive just recreated by Sony (be aware, drive letters of volumes on the disk can be different in the recovery environment, so be sure to select the proper target drive).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, July 2, 2010 9:20 PM