Monitoring my new home server RRS feed

• Question

• I just barely finished building my first home server, so I'm brand new to this.  It's a newer atom board with nothing but a couple normal sized hard drives in it, one laptop hard drive, ram, fan, power supply. I want to put it up in my closet, but I am afraid it might get too hot in there. Is there a way to look up the temperature and basic stats of my self built whs 2011 system through remote access or anything? Perhaps there's a simple addin or something for this. Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:34 AM

All replies

• I don't believe WHS provides that type of hardware integration.  Only ways I can think checking temp is booting machine into BIOS or on server class systems install management pack from OEM.  Either way, likely not exposed from WHS software and not likely an option with hardware deployed.  My preference would be locating physical machine some place which has a bit more air flow.
    Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:42 AM
  • First, the qualifier:  This is unsupported as it involves a Remote Desktop Connection to WHS, but works.

Download HW Monitor (free version)  from

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Copy it to the software folder on your WHS.

Use Remote Desktop Connection to your WHS using Administrator as the user and the Administrator password that was used to set up WHS.

Copy the download from the software folder to your WHS desktop.

Run the program.

Monitor the results for awhile.

Log off WHS Remote Desktop Connection.

Log back on/off whenever you need to check temps.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I just barely finished building my first home server, so I'm brand new to this. It's a newer atom board with nothing but a couple normal sized hard drives in it, one laptop hard drive, ram, fan, power supply. I want to put it up in my closet, but I am afraid it might get too hot in there. Is there a way to look up the temperature and basic stats of my self built whs 2011 system through remote access or anything? Perhaps there's a simple addin or something for this. Thanks.

BullDawg
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Similar to BullDawg's suggestion but I use SpeedFan which once again requires RDC (or adding in something like AWIECO Remote Launcher to the Dashboard) and is not fully integrated with the Dashboard, but it works. It can be started as a Service so is running after boot and I also use it to control fan speeds.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:14 AM
  • If your closet is reasonably sized, and there's nothing blocking airflow around your server, then it's unlikely to get so hot that your server is in any real danger of overheating. Look at the temperature range specs for your components: CPUs are generally rated to run fairly warm, HDDs usually have an operating range that goes up to 60 C or so, etc. As long as all components are operating within manufacturer's specs, you're not going to significantly shorten the life of your hardware.

That said, there are several tools available for monitoring. Pick one, use it until you're satisfied that your server isn't overheating, then remove it. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:09 PM
  • I tested HW Monitor with AWIECO RemoteLauncher just now and it worked. Great idea, Dookie.

• Proposed as answer by Dale Start Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:31 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:27 PM