I need advice on how to deal with 2 hard drive failures I just had (primary and pool) RRS feed

• Question

• So, my set up is like this.

320 gb (primary)

750 gb pool #1
    500 gb pool #2
    100 gb pool #3
    750 gb pool #4 (usb)
    240 gb pool #5 (usb)

My primary drive is dead and will not pass post in as well as my pool drive #3 (I had a pretty bad brown out / power surege)

My data set includes about 80gb of pictuers, 600gb of music, 300gb of video, and 10gb of data in personal folders.  All folders had duplication turned on.

So, If I replace my primary drive by doing the restore install.  But do not replace the bad pool #3 drive.....what will happen to my data?  Will it all be replaced / re found when I recreate the primary drive?

I have restored my clients many times, but this is the 1st time in 2+ years I have had to replace a drive from the server.

Thanks for your help.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:42 AM

Answers

• If you perform a server reinstallation, and all of your data is indeed duplicated that then all should be fine. You would really only have a worry if you didnt have folder duplication switched on.

Andrew
    MVP - Windows Home Server http://usingwindowshomeserver.com

Andrew,

That's not necessarily true in his case.  He had 2 hard drive failures.

goblues38,

Since you had 2 hard drive failures at the same time, you may have lost data.  Are you 100% certain those 2 drives are completely dead?  My suggestion at this point is to pull both of those failed drives out of your server and connect them (one at a time) to a client PC and try to copy anything you can from a folder called DE (it's a hidden folder).  Once you've done that, replace the primary drive with a new drive, put the storage pool drive back in the server where it was (although if it's completely dead, don't bother) and do a Server Reinstallation.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by goblues38 Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:56 PM
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:07 PM

All replies

• If you perform a server reinstallation, and all of your data is indeed duplicated that then all should be fine. You would really only have a worry if you didnt have folder duplication switched on.

Andrew
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 6:23 AM

Andrew

Andrew,

That's not necessarily true in his case.  He had 2 hard drive failures.

goblues38,

Since you had 2 hard drive failures at the same time, you may have lost data.  Are you 100% certain those 2 drives are completely dead?  My suggestion at this point is to pull both of those failed drives out of your server and connect them (one at a time) to a client PC and try to copy anything you can from a folder called DE (it's a hidden folder).  Once you've done that, replace the primary drive with a new drive, put the storage pool drive back in the server where it was (although if it's completely dead, don't bother) and do a Server Reinstallation.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by goblues38 Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:56 PM
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:07 PM
  • Thanks...I am certain the system drive is deaad.

90% on the other drive.  Since it is only a 100gb drive.....i am fairly confident it only contains a copy of my pictures.

But i will follow the advice you proided and take steps as needed.

thank you.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Thanks...I am certain the system drive is deaad.

You could always try the "throw it in a freezer for a little while" trick.  (You have nothing to lose at this point.  :)  )

90% on the other drive.  Since it is only a 100gb drive.....i am fairly confident it only contains a copy of my pictures.

FYI, WHS uses an algorithm that's basically "use the hard drive with the least free space first".  However, it will put any data on any drive in the storage pool based on that algorithm, so there is no guarantee that's it's only pictures (it may be other files or it may be no files at all).  There is no way of knowing what data is on which drive (short of logging into the server desktop - which is unsupported - and looking for yourself).

But i will follow the advice you proided and take steps as needed.

thank you.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 5:08 PM