Onecare completely failed at preventing a PROXY hijack, with loss of use. XP SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Onecare failed to detect spyware that resulted in a proxy hijack.  This prevented any access to Microsoft or Onecare.  When I eventually got Defender loaded on a flash drive and on the computer, it deleted system files.  The result of deletion of critical system files resulted in total loss of use of computer.  Installation of XP from system disk did not remove the virus hijacker.  Defender a second time rendered computer useless again.  All access to security websites prevented.  Next step format hard drive.  The Onecare Defender umbrella is totally useless waste of money when it comes to critical protection. 
    tmcgow1
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• I'm sorry to read that your PC was compromised.

Follow the instructions in this post, http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareanti-virus/thread/6a1361cb-ae28-4d0b-94df-ae2ae890de29 , to report a virus that is not detected by OneCare and to get help in removal or to report a suspected false positive - a threat detected by OneCare in error.

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:11 AM
  • My entired computer was infected by viruses that bypassed Windows Live One Care.  The computer repairman (very good reputation) couldn't stop laughing about the fact I was using Window Live One Care.  "It's ____" he kept saying over and over and he's right.  The entire registry got infected and I had to purchase an entire new computer because restoration to factory settings was not possible.  This email will probably be deleted because it's true - and this is how Microsoft works... the Windows Contact phone number does not connect and the chat help never works.  I've gone through all the "hoops" to get help and assistance.  I am considering filing against Window Live One care to recup the cost of my loss and price of a new computer.   I paid money for the service and I was supposed to be protected.  My problems have already been reported and ignored.   Rampant all over the web now, WLOC is BS.  For me, I found out too late.  You are not alone.   I'm sorry this happened to you (too).  Shame on Microsoft.  Maybe WLOC is good for checking out how your computer is performing... other things, but for Virus protection I think he said it's best "It's ____."
    Stephen you can choose to not post this.  Every word is true.  If it's not posted please know it already has been posted all over the web.  Too late for me, and WLOC.

I'm even a nice person, paid my bill and was enjoying what I thought was "protection".  Silly me.  The computer repairman wasn't making money on my problem.  He couldn't repair it / only wipe it out - which we chose
    not to do... new computer time - and I can't afford it. 

I still may keep WLOC --- why?  It checks other things about my computer performance which I THINK it does well...
    but I could be wrong.   The computer repair man will install a new virus protection program for me  on mynew computer (that I can't afford) / with a gaurantee... of Virus Protection ---  this is what he installs on the computers of major fortune 500 companies, major (airlines)  and well known banking computer systems  so I'll trust it completely.  

What a disappointment.  WLOC is so PRETTY.  Hmmmm.  Pretty expensive mistake for virus protection too. 

Monday, February 1, 2010 7:38 PM
  • I am sorry to read that the PC was infected. No security software - even the best - is 100% effective at preventing infection. The malware writers are constantly looking to find new ways to get by the defenses.

The person who laughed at your choice of OneCare is a fool, by the way. There is *no* infection that cannot be recovered from by restoring the PC by reinstalling Windows after formatting the drive. If the PC had a significant hardware failure, that's not an infection. If the PC was simply infected, the person simply made a buck on a sale from you, unfortunately.

I'm also sorry to read that you were unable to reach support. Support isn't easy to reach, but not impossible, so I'm not sure what you encountered and why.
    As noted above, there is free support for infections even for users of any other security software (or none at all!) from Microsoft. In North America that's a tool free number. It may differ in other parts of the world.

If your new PC will have other security software on it, you cannot install OneCare. Besides which, OneCare is no longer sold. There is now free protection from Microsoft released late last year. It has received highly favorable reviews, though I suspect that the repair man who told you that your PC was in need of replacement due to an infection would laugh at that as well. I assume that the new PC will have Windows 7, too. OneCare will not run on Windows 7.

See this post for End of Life information for Windows Live OneCare - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/81996436-edad-41ba-bdfc-02fc094e2ca9

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 1:30 AM