Windows Home Server pp3
    AMD Phenom 2 quad 940
    Asus Crosshair 2 mobo (onboard video)
    8GB PC2-6400
    Hp NC380t dual port NIC (Teamed)
    Antec 650w PSU
    WD 500GB x 4 (Data)
    WD 250GB enterprise (system)

So basically my problem is a seemingly random BSOD, which eventually culminates in an unbootable system.  Uninstalling drivers for the NIC (latest from HP site for Server 2003) in safe mode seems to get it running again temporarily.  Various other driver issues, using Asus XP driver for mobo etc...  I don't feel like buying new hardware for this OS, but may consider it if anyone can provide a *ROCK SOLID* platform with available drivers etc.

I'm considering installing to a VM on Xenserver 5.5.0.  I'm sure this will add an extra layer of complication to my setup, but is it likely to alleviate my troubles?  

WHS runs fantastic when it works, but I'm slightly disappointed to be having these elementary issues threatening the integrity of my Data...
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:02 AM

Answers

• What are the details of the BSOD?  Code number, etc.  Windows Home Server will only use 4GB of Memory, having 8GB isn't a problem but having memory that has timing issues is.  Have you tested you memory? I would remove 4GB and test with memtest86 to give a fair comparison on 32-bit memory addressing.

Also Windows Home Server does not support teamed NICs.
    --
    • Marked as answer by ProstheticHead Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:26 PM
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:18 AM

All replies

• What are the details of the BSOD?  Code number, etc.  Windows Home Server will only use 4GB of Memory, having 8GB isn't a problem but having memory that has timing issues is.  Have you tested you memory? I would remove 4GB and test with memtest86 to give a fair comparison on 32-bit memory addressing.

Also Windows Home Server does not support teamed NICs.
    --
    • Marked as answer by ProstheticHead Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:26 PM
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Hi Al, and thank you for responding.

The BSOD never stays up long enough to catch the error, although I did catch "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".  Is there a way to retrieve the error message after rebooting?

I will remove some (Most) of the RAM, and try your suggestion.  I guess one 2GB module would suffice? 

I had this System up & running for about two weeks without issue.  Device manager listed an unknown device, SMbus Controller and a USB device as having no driver installed during this time but it seemed stable.  (the USB device I think was the scanner on an attached multifunction printer) 

As for the NIC teaming, it was provided as an option with some HP software.. I guess I'll disable that and test, or should I just install a single port NIC?  Got an unused HP NC110t here somewhere, maybe I should try that?
    Monday, February 15, 2010 12:11 AM
  • Al, I tried your suggestions and the issue seems to be resolved.  It would appear the Hp network teaming software was the root of the problem after all.  After setting the Ethernet ports to operate independently, my troubles ended.  Memtest86 ran overnight, 4GB at a time and all four RAM modules tested clean, but I think I'll stick with 2x2GB for now.  I'd actually forgotten that this box had so much RAM in it <LOL>.

Once again, thanks for your attention :-)
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:25 PM