How can I map \Device\HardDisk5 into the correct disk in Home Server Console? RRS feed

• Question

• I have four disks attached via USB, which all have the same model number and size. One of them is failing, but I can't figure out how to "map" \Device\HardDisk5 into the correct drive in Home Server Console so that I can remove it from the system.

Any clues how I can figure it out?
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Brad,
    shutdown the system and pull one disk off.
    Power on again, and check, which is reported as missing. If it is the correct disk, you found it, if not, power down again, connect that disk and try with the next one.
    This being said, using USB drives in the storage pool is officially allowed, but the reliabilty depends much from the enclosures, cabling and capabilities of the USB ports on the machine. Several users had problems in the past with such scenarios, so I recommend to change the strategy in a long run.
    And never forget external backups of important data.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:39 AM
  • That's kind of a brute force scenario, I was hoping for something a little more scientific. :)

The problem, of course, is that the drives in question are dual drives in a single enclosure. If I turn off the enclosure, I lose both drives, and I don't know which one is which.

In order to get rid of the USB drives, I need to swap bigger drives into the home server; for space reasons, I won't be able to swap the internal drives for something bigger without keeping the USB drives on-line (at least for the first swap). It would've been nice to at least remove the failing drive from the pool for the swap out procedure. I guess I'll do the math and see if I can take them both offline and still be able to do the swap.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:28 PM