C:\$Mft is corrupt and unreadable

Question

• Messages I see (Windows XP Home, SP 3):
    Every day:  "The file or directory C:\$Extend$ObjId is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utililty."
    Occasionally:  "The file or directory C:\$Mft is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utililty."

After a problem that is too complicated to describe here occurred, several months ago, Chkdsk ran at every startup.  Every time it ran, it corrupted more files.  I finally learned how to stop that, but now
    (1) Many programs display the C:\$Extend$ObjId message above when they start, and Outlook displays it many times every time I use it;  
    (2) No file of any kind before a certain date can be moved, deleted, updated, renamed, replaced, etc., but almost all can be opened and edited;
    (3) Because of (2), no updates of any software can occur, including Windows XP and Internet Explorer, except for software installed for the first time after the date mentioned in (2);
    (4) Outlook did not work at all until I created a new outlook.pst file, named outlook2.pst because the original corrupted file could not be deleted, moved, etc.;
    (5) Windows Explorer displays only files and folders with names starting with letters up to P in C:\Windows and the System subfolder, although I know the remaining files and subfolders are there because they can be accessed when needed. 
    (6) At every startup, a message appears saying, "One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy.  The recovery was successful."  

How can I repair  C:\$Mft and C:\$Extend$ObjId, knowing that Chkdsk does not repair them, as well as the undeletable, unrenamable files? 

I cannot use the recovery CD and reinstall everything because I have over 100 programs that can't be reinstalled (such as Giveaway of the Day programs). 

I do not see a forum that seems to be appropriate for this question.  If somebody knows, please put it there for  me. 

• Moved by Max Wang_Chinasoft Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:05 PM forum consolidation (From:General Discussion)
    Friday, March 26, 2010 5:35 AM

All replies

• Correction:  C:\Extend\$ObjId  

Probably because of the inability to update Windows and programs over a period of months, the drive became infected with malware.  Eventually, when I tried startup in safe mode in order to do more thorough virus and malware scans, the result was a blue screen saying that the operating system had been shut down for safety because of probable viruses.  

Using the replacement drive, I created an Avira rescue CD, but it could not find any infections on the original drive, even the ones I knew about from scans by other antivirus programs.  

I also created a Paragon Rescue Kit CD, but that could not solve the problem of the messed up operating system.  

After that I created a Linux Mint 8.0 live CD that I could use to copy my documents and saved files to an external drive.  I am still trying to learn how to copy a file from C: to the external drive in Linux.

I also plan to try making the original drive a slave drive in order to scan it for viruses, malware, etc. from the new C drive, after loading up the new drive with several antivirus and anti-malware programs (Norton, TrendMicro Housecall, McAfee, AdAware, Spybot SD, Rootkit Revealer, Hijack This).    

Incidentally, what I needed to know about back in the beginning was System File Checker. By the time  I discovered SFC and tried to run it, it would not run; it started up and then hung.  

Any more ideas?  

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 6:25 AM