Windows Phone will need some exclusive content to solidify itself. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was thinking as most have already said... Intergrating Windows phone into the Xbox 360 more and have exclusive content that ships with games. Xbox 360 already has a strong fan/user base and I think it would be a good idea to utilize that more. Make more Xbox 360 content available for Windows phone users and the other way around. I mean make content available for Windows Phone not available or usable for android, iphone, or blackberry... It will help migrate some users and give windows phone more value and usability. Have extra mini games that are more usable on windows phone ship alongside/with full versions for the Xbox. Working the other way around give a Windows phone user discounts for Xbox Live or credits toward new games or exclusive releases of other Microsoft products and services. I was just thinking... and you may or may not have already discussed or thought of this already. If you have any other questions, thoughts, or see any flaws in this idea. Just ask or explain.

Friday, April 9, 2010 12:53 AM

All replies

• I guess I'm the only one to see potential in using the Xbox more... I also was thinking you could use the Xbox to sync the games and to charge the device also. Or just use the xbox as a dock to view phone content on the TV. I know this may sound like a stretch but I think it would be cool to use the phone as a modem for the Xbox also(for people who travel with the game system or for people who are cutting ties with cable/satellite companies and want to take advantage of the new 4G networks, kind of a niche thing but a cool "gadget" type feature). I just think the possibilities for this are great and would generate alot of "buzz" and add some users who wouldn't look a Windows device otherwise. Just looking at the amount of views I was kinda expecting some commentary from other users or naysayers with reasons why the idea is no good. I just thinking it would be a winning combination...
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 9:43 PM
  • I'm with you BUGBYTE_V! Surely some of those great XBox Arcade games would be playable on the Windows Phone? Which XBox users wouldn't want to add to their acheivement points on the way to work? Love the idea of docking to the Xbox too.
    Friday, April 23, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Yeah, I think the XBox piece will make a huge differentiation between windows phones and other phones.  I've mentioned this to a few of my students (I teach at the University) and they are very excited about this and can't wait to get a WM7.0 phone.

Prof Julie, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices | http://pocketprimer.com
    Friday, April 23, 2010 4:01 PM
  • I guess I'm the only one to see potential in using the Xbox more... I also was thinking you could use the Xbox to sync the games and to charge the device also. Or just use the xbox as a dock to view phone content on the TV. I know this may sound like a stretch but I think it would be cool to use the phone as a modem for the Xbox also.

You can actually charge a phone (or any other USB device) with an xbox now. I charge my phone and other devices like this from time to time.  The Xbox can also display the content on a Zune or USB devices.

I'm hoping to be able to use my forthcoming Windows Phone 7 devices as a modem but that's also going to have a dependency on the carrier's decisions and policies.  Some of the carriers here in the USA sell the ability to use ones phone as a modem for an additional monthly fee. Not sure how that will impact WP7.

Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Device Application Development MVP
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:06 PM
  • I understand you can charge some things by USB... But I have in the past had to install drivers to just charge the phone...lol I want it to just work without any extra install. Back in the 80's using DOS I was OK with installing drivers taking SCSI cards in and out to get things to work... But it's 2010 I want to plug it in and thats it. I'm older and more lazy now...lol.  I know I can plug in my mp3, USB sticks... into my xbox. I just want it to be like looking at my phone just on my TV. I want to be able to slide the menus like if the phone was in my hand. I want all of my phone info viewable up on the TV. Calendar, Games, MP3's, Address book..... I want to be able to leave my phone docked to my TV so I can view incoming calls from across the room access and update my calendar with my controller. I think this should be possible with the resources Microsoft has to integrate all my needs in one "HUB" so my TV, Games, and phone are all in sync with one another. I would also like the ability to download something I TVOed to my phone so I can watch it when I have downtime while out and about or while my wife is shopping. Phone signal sucks inside some of these malls(I've use T-mobile and sprint they both have the same problems) so streaming tv or video gets jumpy inside the stores. 
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:21 PM
  • understand you can charge some things by USB... But I have in the past had to install drivers to just charge the phone...lol

I've seen that before. When I encountered that problems years ago some phone manufacturers only had the drivers available as a paid product.

The inability to charge without the drives isn't a short coming of the PC or the xbox but a feature of those phones On some of my phones there's a setting that allows me to disable charging when connected to a USB device. I'm honestly can't think of any reason to disable USB charging. . When ever it's turned on the xbox and the PC will continuously have current available to the USB port.

I would also like the ability to download something I TVOed to my phone so I can watch it when I have downtime while out and about or while my wife is shopping. 

While it's not a perfect match, if you have interest in those features there's two other technologies from Microsoft you may want to check out.

One is  Microsoft Media Room (aka IP TV). When it was first demonstrated a few years ago one of the features is had was the ability to schedule recordings from your phone and watch your recordings from your phone. It's sold under different names in different markets through various providers (ex: The AT&T branded version in the USA is called "Uverse"). Being data centric that doesn't address the case you described on when a phone has a weak signal.

For media centers based on Vista and Windows 7 recordings can sync to a phone or a Zune. I've actually got this setup at home. If I connect my Zune the last three episodes of all the shows I've recorded sync to it. If all of the Zune functionality transfers to Windows Phone 7 then we'll be able to see this functionality moving forward. And since my Media Center and the Xboxes are on the same network anything that I've recorded from one of the other Xboxes or from another computer in the house. 

Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Device Application Development MVP
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:52 PM