WHS2011 - Windows Media Center (WMC7), iTunes and TV recordings - any hardware guesses? RRS feed

• Question

• Does WHS2011 support installing/using WMC7 and iTunes if your processor and RAM are big enough?  I'm looking to upgrade from WHSv1 and I want to consolidate machines.  I currently have a WHSv1 machine and a secondary machine just for recording TV/running WMC7 and also running iTunes (for Home Sharing).  Obviously I'd like to get it down to just one machine.  There are/were probably ways to get iTunes on WHSv1 but I never messed with it since I already had the WMC7 box running.

Also, any guess on when packaged machines are going to be available?  I'm not really 'up to the challenge' of building my own machine and installing OS by hand...but if several months away, I might have to rethink that (or at least find someone to help me).

Thanks in advance.

Monday, July 11, 2011 4:45 PM

Answers

• WHS 2011 is based on Windows Server 2008 R2 not W7.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Terry Aney Monday, July 11, 2011 6:22 PM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 5:55 PM

All replies

• Does WHS2011 support installing/using WMC7 and iTunes if your processor and RAM are big enough?  I'm looking to upgrade from WHSv1 and I want to consolidate machines.  I currently have a WHSv1 machine and a secondary machine just for recording TV/running WMC7 and also running iTunes (for Home Sharing).  Obviously I'd like to get it down to just one machine.  There are/were probably ways to get iTunes on WHSv1 but I never messed with it since I already had the WMC7 box running.

Also, any guess on when packaged machines are going to be available?  I'm not really 'up to the challenge' of building my own machine and installing OS by hand...but if several months away, I might have to rethink that (or at least find someone to help me).

Thanks in advance.

Media Center is a feature of Windows desktop operating systems, and is not available for Windows Home Server. The recommended configuration is to use two machines: one Windows 7 with Media Center, one Windows Home Server. Store media on the server (where the DLNA media streaming features will be able to serve it to DLNA consumers like TVs, BluRay players, or XBox 360s) and get your 10' interface from the Windows Media Center PC either directly or through an extender.

Unlike V1, Windows Home Server 2011 can stream unprotected AAC media (iTunes without DRM) via the DLNA server, so you may be able to simply move that library to your server and have it stream from there as well.

Packaged machines will be available. When? Take a guess; mine is around the end of next month for the US. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 11, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Thanks for info.  I thought WHS2011 was based on Win7 so it 'implicitly had WMC' (at least that was my hope).  Currently all my content is on WHS (both content for WMC and Apple AirPlay)...I just wanted to eliminate the footprint of the extra machine :(
    Monday, July 11, 2011 5:49 PM
  • WHS 2011 is based on Windows Server 2008 R2 not W7.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Terry Aney Monday, July 11, 2011 6:22 PM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 5:55 PM
  •  Somebody installed NextPVR http://www.gbpvr.com/ which will run on WHS 2011 like any other Windows based software. I think he uses it with a standard OTA HDTV tuner. Don't ask where I saw it, it was either a blog post or something else. Worth a try if you're trying to consolidate everything into one machine.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:59 AM