Avast windows installer package file RRS feed

• Question

• After trialling Avast software I was unable to uninstall the add-in. I got a little impatient with it and went to the software/Add-Ins directory and deleted the windows installer package for Avast.  After browsing this forum I realised I have done the wrong thing.  WHS does not seem to have a recycle bin to retrieve the file.  Can anyone email me a copy of the file or point me to a link to obtain it or any other suggestion to fix the problem.

Ultimately I just want to get rid of Avast off WHS.

Friday, April 1, 2011 12:19 AM

Answers

•  

Just remove the avast installer (*.msi) from the WHS addIn directory at \\{servarname}\server\Software\Add-Ins
    If you are not sure what .msi file to remove check the msi-file properties. De "details" tab will show information.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Lynskey Thursday, April 7, 2011 10:03 PM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try reinstalling using the avast installer trial.
    Then un-install from the WHS desktop through control panal -> add remove programs.

When done run the Avast uninstall utility to remove any left-overs.
    - Theo.

Friday, April 1, 2011 6:27 PM
  • The only thing I can uninstall and install is the whs connector software.

My problem as I see it is I have deleted the Avast windows installer package from the whs and need to get it back somehow.

I cant reinstall the avast installer trial if the file is deleted from the software\add-ins directory.

The control panel add remove programs only progams installed on my pc not the whs.

Monday, April 4, 2011 1:18 AM
  • Hi,
    The only way to get the installer packages back is to re-install avast. This will install the Avast product as well as the WHS console add-in.
    In case you do no longer have access to the Avast installer you probably need to re-download?

The Avast installer comes in to flavors:
    * An .msi  installer that is placed in the add-in directory so it can be installed from the WHS console as a "plain" add-in
    or
    * A standard .exe executable installer that can be run from the WHS remote Desktop
    I think it is probably best to use the .exe that is run from the WHS Desktop to re-install.

If the method as described above fails you might want to try contacting Avast support by e-mail
    Probably the best next option would be a server re-install...
    - Theo.

Monday, April 4, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Hi,

I tried both .msi installer and .exe installer.  I copied them to the software folder on whs and ran them from whs remote desktop.  Neither worked, not sure if that is the right way. (I'm used to pc's not whs)

So then I did a server recovery.....all fine now.

When you go to settings, addins,  the avast addin is still available to install (I never want to do that again).  Do you know how to remove the avast addin from the list of available addins to install?

Lynskey

Monday, April 4, 2011 11:31 PM
  •  

Just remove the avast installer (*.msi) from the WHS addIn directory at \\{servarname}\server\Software\Add-Ins
    If you are not sure what .msi file to remove check the msi-file properties. De "details" tab will show information.

- Theo.

• Marked as answer by Lynskey Thursday, April 7, 2011 10:03 PM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:47 PM