Console and RDC Connection failure, even shared folder are still accesible???? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

Something a little strange...
    My WHServer is runing since month without problem, backup, restore, share all are fine working, but...
    3 weeks before, I backup all my 3 Win XP home sp3 pc, take a look into the console, everyting ok...
    Shut down the server because I know that the next day I will be out from house for 2 or 3 week...
    Just 5 mn later I decide to update the firmware from my Sitecom Broadband router, unluckly one power down make it bricked...
    No problem I go to replace it with another i have on shelf, one Linksys WRT54G V5.0...
    Network ok, internet acces OK (and printing sharing OK??? not sure)...
    Don't think about checking  the Console or RDC acces on Server...
    Yesterday (3 week later) I come home, Update the soft firewall (ZoneAlarmpro 8) on the 3 laptop, microsoft update (IE7 or IE8), antivir update(Avast or Symantec, depending), synchronise mail mailbox and some folder between pc ... etc...
    Later I remarke that despite the whserver is runing, that the icon is red for critical warning(no backup in last 3 week), I cannot strat a backup or connect to whserver trough the Console and also not trough RDC (it was working both way 3 week before), Cannot connect... even the shared folder are still accesible on the server????

If I change the router config from gateway to router, then I can acces the WHServer, but lose Internet connection...
    As gateway config on router, I can Ping and Lookup the Ip of the server, and receive back his name as info, but if I Ping or Lookup the name of the server I receive back one external (internet) IP address, like 59.37.xxx.xxx
    I really believe I make a mistake or pass something in the router config, but I don't know what...
    If anybody know what I pass, tell me, but don't laughing too loudly please:-)

Have a nice day!
    If you don't find anything, search more, you will find it!
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    you need to configure the router in it's interface in a way, that it does not deliver the ISPs DNS server to the client PCs via DHCP, but it's own address instead. (192.168.1.1).
    If possible, also remove "lan" from the connection specific DNS suffix/suffix search list in that configuration.

If this is not an option or not working, you could try to associate all the clients and the server fixed IP addresses (including subnet mask, gateway and DNS server) in the same subnet, but outside of the DHCP range of the router (which should be mentioned somewhere in the manual).
    In this case click Advanced in the TCP/IP settings of the network card and disable registration of this IP address on the DNS server (since the most routers are not fully fletched DNS servers, but performing DNS query forwarding), remove all entries related to DNS suffixes and on the WINS tab enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
    After that reboot changed client and server. In case the server changed its IP address, you will need to run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server to reconnect the client to the server and change the port forwarding in the router in case you use the Remote Access features of WHS.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, April 17, 2009 7:44 AM

All replies

• Hi everybody,

Something a little strange...
    My WHServer is runing since month without problem, backup, restore, share all are fine working, but...
    3 weeks before, I backup all my 3 Win XP home sp3 pc, take a look into the console, everyting ok...
    Shut down the server because I know that the next day I will be out from house for 2 or 3 week...
    Just 5 mn later I decide to update the firmware from my Sitecom Broadband router, unluckly one power down make it bricked...
    No problem I go to replace it with another i have on shelf, one Linksys WRT54G V5.0...
    Network ok, internet acces OK (and printing sharing OK??? not sure)...
    Don't think about checking  the Console or RDC acces on Server...
    Yesterday (3 week later) I come home, Update the soft firewall (ZoneAlarmpro 8) on the 3 laptop, microsoft update (IE7 or IE8), antivir update(Avast or Symantec, depending), synchronise mail mailbox and some folder between pc ... etc...
    Later I remarke that despite the whserver is runing, that the icon is red for critical warning(no backup in last 3 week), I cannot strat a backup or connect to whserver trough the Console and also not trough RDC (it was working both way 3 week before), Cannot connect... even the shared folder are still accesible on the server????

If I change the router config from gateway to router, then I can acces the WHServer, but lose Internet connection...
    As gateway config on router, I can Ping and Lookup the Ip of the server, and receive back his name as info, but if I Ping or Lookup the name of the server I receive back one external (internet) IP address, like 59.37.xxx.xxx
    I really believe I make a mistake or pass something in the router config, but I don't know what...
    If anybody know what I pass, tell me, but don't laughing too loudly please:-)

Have a nice day!
    Can you post an ipconfig /all of both the server as well as a client?  Also, do you have more than one router in your LAN (including a router that is built-in to your modem)?
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:16 AM
  • I assume you have a DHCP configuration in your router, which attaches a DNS suffix to the server name and/or use the external DNS server of your ISP (instead of the routers IP address internally) for DNS name resolution.
    If now the name of your server is existing in the Internet with that DNS suffix (server.xyz.com - replace server with the name of the server and xyz with the DNS suffix), the name will be resolved to that server instead of your private machine.
    The output of ipconfig /all as asked by kariya will verify this, I assume.

Olaf
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:12 AM
  • Sorry for be late but I was looking if with my previous router (TP-Link)the problem is same, and yes same problem....
    Here what you have ask for:
    Microsoft Windows XP [version 5.1.2600] =>XP Home SP3 Client 3
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Client PC>ipconfig /all

Configuration IP de Windows

Nom de l'hôte . . . . . . . . . . : Client3 PC
            Suffixe DNS principal . . . . . . :
            Type de noud . . . . . . . . . . : Inconnu
            Routage IP activé . . . . . . . . : Non
            Proxy WINS activé . . . . . . . . : Non
            Liste de recherche du suffixe DNS : lan

Carte Ethernet Connexion réseau sans fil:

Suffixe DNS propre à la connexion : lan
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Carte Mini de réseau local sans fil Wireless 1390 de Dell
            Adresse physique . . . . . . . . .: 00-19-7D-xx-xx-xx
            DHCP activé. . . . . . . . . . . : Oui
            Configuration automatique activée . . . . : Oui
            Adresse IP. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.103
            Masque de sous-réseau . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Passerelle par défaut . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
            Serveur DHCP. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
            Serveurs DNS . . . . . . . . . .  : 202.96.128.86
            Bail obtenu . . . . . . . . . . . : jeudi 16 avril 2009 22:05:28
            Bail expirant . . . . . . . . . . : vendredi 17 avril 2009 22:05:28

Carte Ethernet Connexion au réseau local :

Statut du média . . . . . . . . . : Média déconnecté
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC #3
            Adresse physique . . . . . . . . .: 00-03-0D-xx-xx-xx

C:\Documents and Settings\Client3 PC>end

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790] WHS Server
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig\all
    The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : whsserverXXX
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethern
    et NIC
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-92-xx-xx-xx
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 202.96.128.86
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : vendredi 17 avril 2009 00:27:27
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : samedi 18 avril 2009 00:27:27

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

I agree what say Olaf about the DNS Server because I can Ping and Lookup the know Ip of the server, and then I receive back his name as info, but if I Ping or Lookup the name of the server I receive back one external (internet) IP address, like 59.37.xxx.xxx...
    I know where is the problem, but I dont know how settle it...
    If you know how I am open at any suggestion...

Best regards 
    Alain

Friday, April 17, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

I agree what you say about the DNS Server because I can Ping and Lookup the know Ip of the server, and then I receive back his name as info, but if I Ping or Lookup the name of the server <<server name>> then I receive back  the <<server name.lan>>  with one external (internet) IP address, like 59.37.xxx.xxx...
    And also with my WHS server power off the answer the <<server name.lan>>  with one external (internet) IP address, like 59.37.xxx.xxx come again....

I know where is the problem, but I dont know how settle it... How make a separation between my LAN and the Internet...???

Another way, maybe more clever, is certainly change the name of my WHServer, but I dont know if this can affect the previous backup data. Specialy in case of restore Data on one PC... ( in the last 18 month I have kill 3 HDD and one laptop because overheating... South China climate )
    And Can I do the naming change in RDC connect ?? or better direct on Server... I know that over the Console it is just not to think about, somewhere logic...
    If you know how do, anyway, I am open at any suggestion...

Best regards from a french guy in South China.
    Alain

Friday, April 17, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Hi,
    you need to configure the router in it's interface in a way, that it does not deliver the ISPs DNS server to the client PCs via DHCP, but it's own address instead. (192.168.1.1).
    If possible, also remove "lan" from the connection specific DNS suffix/suffix search list in that configuration.

If this is not an option or not working, you could try to associate all the clients and the server fixed IP addresses (including subnet mask, gateway and DNS server) in the same subnet, but outside of the DHCP range of the router (which should be mentioned somewhere in the manual).
    In this case click Advanced in the TCP/IP settings of the network card and disable registration of this IP address on the DNS server (since the most routers are not fully fletched DNS servers, but performing DNS query forwarding), remove all entries related to DNS suffixes and on the WINS tab enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
    After that reboot changed client and server. In case the server changed its IP address, you will need to run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server to reconnect the client to the server and change the port forwarding in the router in case you use the Remote Access features of WHS.

Olaf
    Friday, April 17, 2009 7:44 AM