none
Recent logging in problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Using Opera browser. Up until a few days ago, I could normally log in straightforwardly. Now, I always get:

Server Error in '/Forums' Application.
    Runtime Error
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

I can then only get in by going to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/  and then the link to the forums. Note: I can not get in with http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/.

Has something been changed?

Regards from Livingston, Scotland (Please ignore any stupid formatting produced by this forum)
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:06 PM

Answers

• I suspect some of the redirection is playing some part in this problem. Until we can look into this further (we have a lot of other priority 1 bugs to address) I would recommend anchoring your favorite to the forum url if you want to maximize chances of an auto log in to work. Live id and how it works with regard to timing out the credential or session is something that varies based on settings and time spent in the session. I don't know what exactly they look at for timeouts, but it's possible you would see a 10 minute timeout if you were at the end of the 10 (or 12) hours for that particular credential/session.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by leshay Friday, March 25, 2011 1:01 PM
    Friday, February 25, 2011 7:58 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Nothing has changed with regard to log in or authentication in over three months. Can you verify a few things?

• Are you signing in via the "Sign in" link in the masthead (next to the language/locale picker) or the link in the "my forums" area?
    • If it is the masthead, can you try going to the search app at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/ and let me know if that works?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi

Well, the signing in is 'automatic' in as much as I usually didn't need to explicitly use the 'sign in' - I think that may be down to setting the sign in to 'remember user' and 'remember password' which I would have set up a long time ago.

As it is now, although I can't get in via my usual way (direct to the forums) and must use the posted method, even then, the actual login part is 'automatic' and I arrive at the forums logged in.

By the way, when I said  'I could normally log in straightforwardly.' in the OP, I didn't mean I was explicitly logging in, just opening my bookmarked link to the forums which would normally log in automatically. The error may or may not be related to the logging in portion of the process. Of course, you may be able to figure out what the error message actually means, I can't.

Regards from Livingston, Scotland (Please ignore any stupid formatting produced by this forum)
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:27 PM
  • The error is just a generic dotnet error, so there isn't a lot there. We are continually looking into server errors that are logged, but it will take time to isolate this particular case. It would help if we could isolate the problem, maybe go to the search url page I sent above, sign in, save that as a favorite and see if you can get that page to load and automatically authenticate you. That would tell me if it is a forums problem or a problem with our generic authentication. If you do this, let me know how it goes, but for now, I don't have an easy explaination.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:15 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi

I bookmarked your search link, and have tried it several times. In each case, I needed to use the 'sign in' link and that worked fine, there was never any attempt to automatically sign in on that page.

My own bookmarked link to the forums, the one I have used for a long time, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-gb/categories will bring up that error page (from OP) unless I have already been signed in and then, it will sometimes get to the forums without further ado.

My sign in credentials have always been the same, so it isn't an issue with wrong credentials.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:05 PM
  • I can not get in with http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/

FWIW that redirects me to

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

So, does your Address bar change when you "can not get in"?

BTW to get the above redirect you might have to Add  EN-US  as your preferred Language (in Internet Options terms; I don't know what Opera provides to support that choice.)

Otherwise I would try using ProcMon to see if there is anything else you could do on the client side.  E.g., I don't think that a client side config file is being referred to by that diagnostic but if one is being accessed it probably won't hurt making the suggested changes to it.   ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:48 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply Robert.

The address bar changes, depending on whether I am 'currently' logged in or not.  I haven't got a clue as to when it changes from being 'currently' logged in to being not 'currently' logged in. I can sometimes seem to remain logged in between sessions for up to 12 hours and sometimes it requires a fresh log in after 10 minures - beats me.

However, I can see the address bar changing to the log in address (something like login.live something or other - I see it often but can't quite remember it right now), but no page content as I suppose it is going through the automatic procedure.

I do have the right address for the forum - for example, right now, the address bar is showing:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/reportabug/thread/d290f339-d050-4607-9c86-e8ca4753c66d#55f72157-a29f-42f2-ad86-b7d58eaa6ea1

When I started the thread, I was showing the addresses I used to overcome the issue and to get into the forum. I just removed the last 'leaf' of the address until I got a page, which ended up being the

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com portion (again note that including the 'Forums/' portion still failed).

At that page, I could use the 'Forums' link at the top of the page to successfully log in (again, automatic login).

I won't bother with the ProcMon, as I know nothing about config files etc - I have been getting by for a long time, until this issue reared its ugly head.

Friday, February 25, 2011 4:04 AM
  • I suspect some of the redirection is playing some part in this problem. Until we can look into this further (we have a lot of other priority 1 bugs to address) I would recommend anchoring your favorite to the forum url if you want to maximize chances of an auto log in to work. Live id and how it works with regard to timing out the credential or session is something that varies based on settings and time spent in the session. I don't know what exactly they look at for timeouts, but it's possible you would see a 10 minute timeout if you were at the end of the 10 (or 12) hours for that particular credential/session.
    • Marked as answer by leshay Friday, March 25, 2011 1:01 PM
    Friday, February 25, 2011 7:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply Brent.

I don't know what you mean by 'I would recommend anchoring your favorite to the forum url'?

Anyway, those error pages seem to have stopped now. Instead, I no longer get the automatic log in. I get to the forums with my usual bookmark, but not now logged in. Logging in with the 'Login' link does work OK though.

I may say here, that of all the forums I use/have used in my time, this one tops the list for 'issues'.

In any case, thanks for the replies and I will persevere with the forum :)

Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:17 AM
  • Hi

Just marked your post as answer to close the issue. I can get into the forum and log in now - have changed the version of Opera that I am using - seems to have helped.

Friday, March 25, 2011 1:03 PM