Determine file share mappings? RRS feed

• Question

• Besides the WHS dashboard, is there a place to look to see what shares are supposed to be there? and what their mappings should be? The reason I ask is that if I lose a hard drive or if it becomes disconnected, the shares that were mapped to that drive just disappear from the dashboard. Sure, if they are one the standard ones (like videos, music, documents, etc), I get a big warning that says they're gone and need to be configured. But any other ones just disappear forever from the dashboard. Once the next backup runs you get an alert that one or more shares weren't backed up. But I want to know if there is some mapping behind the scenes that would tell me what needs to be reconfigured.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 3:42 PM

All replies

• If you are doing Server backups, the easiest and safest way would be to look at one of your known good backups in the Dashboard. "Restore files & folders for the server", "On this server (Servername)", Select a known good backup, "Files or Folders". You should then be able to see what shares are on each of your disks.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:04 PM
  • I just hit the motherload! I found an MMC (Microsoft Management Console) snap-in called, conveniently enough, Shared Folders. Wow! This has everything. It shows all the shares, the individual sessions, and any open files (along with the user who has them open). Nice!!! I haven't checked to see if this list is stays complete even if the mapped hard drives are missing as was my original criterial. but either way, this is where Phil's solution would work. Just go look at the backup to see what was being backed up. That wouldn't fully work for me though, as I don't backup all of my server shares (ie the 2TB limit, I need to get a little picky about what gets backed up).

If you've never used MMC you're missing out on some great info. Just run MMC from the "search programs and files", then go to the file menu and press "Add/Remove Snap-in

Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:24 PM