Has anybody developed software to backup the WHS system partition? RRS feed

• Question

• WHS has been running for over a year and with little or no problems.  I have it set up on a system with 4 250G drives.  However, sooner or later the system drive will fail and it seems to this point the only solution is to re-install WHS.  Has there been any other solution developed that I missed?  Seems like the only hits I get on a search are 2 years old.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:21 PM

Answers

• Since there are volume mount points and tombstones on the system disk, which are changing very regulary, a working backup is somewhat difficult. You have also to add the fact, that the volume ÍD is used for assigning the disks to the storage pool, and so restoring drive D: to a new disk would end up with a different ID, making drive D: missing in the configuration.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Ken429 Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:10 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:57 PM

All replies

• Since there are volume mount points and tombstones on the system disk, which are changing very regulary, a working backup is somewhat difficult. You have also to add the fact, that the volume ÍD is used for assigning the disks to the storage pool, and so restoring drive D: to a new disk would end up with a different ID, making drive D: missing in the configuration.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Ken429 Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:10 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:57 PM
  • Why not mirror the main system disk?
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Mirroring (RAID in general) adds a level of complexity to Windows Home Server setup and recovery (which may be needed even in a mirrored or RAID configuration) that many users have found near-insurmountable. And it is, per Microsoft, an unsupported scenario, since the operating system partition is (by design) considered sacrificial in the event of a system disk failure.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:44 PM