Install OCS 2007 on box that used to host LCS 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Having had issues upgrading LCS 2005 which was running Ent Edition with the Backend on the same server, we decided to de-activate it, uninstall and remove the pool so that users were unassigned and could be later assigned to a fresh OCS2007 Standard Edition install.

My question is:

Should I completely rebuild the server on which LCS2005 used to be installed or would it be ok to just install OCS 2007 straight over?

The uninstall went cleanly though it did leave some files behind.  Also SQL 2005 is running on the server ready for the archiving database.

Thanks

Mark

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:43 AM

All replies

• From my personal experience, it is always better to rebuild the box from scratch.  If you end up with issues on the new OCS box, at least you will know it is not related to a possible previous DLL or registry entry.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:31 PM
  • I'd verify that all LCS-related information was removed from Active Directory, specifically in this location:

CN=RTC Service,CN=Microsoft,CN=System.DC=domain,DC=com

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Thanks, we're going for a rebuild.

Jeff - have you removed that sort of info from AD in the past?  It would be useful to start with a clean sheet especially as there is an orphaned entry for an Archiving server, but it seems quite drastic. 

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:01 PM
  • Mark,

Yes; I've got some details on the process in this blog entry.  I mainly talk about server/pool names but it should get you pointed in the right direction.

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:18 PM