IFD Nightmares RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Hoping you can help me with this - I've now set up IFD on several sites and I have hit the same problem with all of the sites so I'm clearly repeating the same mistake. Basically I have the following example environment:

Server is Windows 2008 Server Standard Edition 64-bit
    Database is either SQL 2008 0r 2005 (I've had the same problem on both)
    CRM Professional version 4, all update rollups that I've tried up to 8.
    CRM Company: Contoso
    Domain name: Contoso.com
    IIS Site: New CRM site created by the installer on port 5555
    Firewall redirects port 5555 to the internal server
    DNS Alias: Contoso.Contoso.com
    Server internal IP 192.168.0.4, Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    CRM server name: SERVER02

Now, I run the IFD tool provising all of the above information, and apply changes. Everything seems to apply fine.

From that point on all access to CRM from internal network clients and external Internet clients can connect to CRM fine - internal using Windows authentication, external using Forms authentication.

The problem is, if I try to access CRM on the physical CRM server itself - I get a generic 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' connectivity error. I'm putting http://server02:5555 in to the address in IE locally on the server and it isnt recognising it. However if I type in http://localhost:5555 everything works.

I know I can work around it by using localhost, however I'm not happy as it seems to me that there is still something wrong here - also this has caused some issues with some ISV addons I've been working on - I also suspect it's causing a problem I'm having with external users running reports.

Any advice on getting to the root of the problem will be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

Friday, March 5, 2010 5:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Brett,

A couple items to check. 

A.  I'd recommend disabling ip v6.
    B.  Verify that you can do an nslookup server02 from the server and get the correct address
    C.  Add 127.0.0.1\255.255.255.255 to list of ips in the ifdconfig tool.
    D.  Verify that when you browse to server2 it is listed as a trusted site or intranet site in your browser.
    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:21 AM

All replies

• /bump

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Brett

Monday, March 8, 2010 2:14 PM
  • Hi Brett,

- what is the result of 'nslookup server02'
    - do you receive a 'could not view page' (name resolution not possible, 404, ...) or an authentication error (401) ?
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Brett Davis Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:20 AM
    Monday, March 8, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Hi Brett,

A couple items to check. 

A.  I'd recommend disabling ip v6.
    B.  Verify that you can do an nslookup server02 from the server and get the correct address
    C.  Add 127.0.0.1\255.255.255.255 to list of ips in the ifdconfig tool.
    D.  Verify that when you browse to server2 it is listed as a trusted site or intranet site in your browser.
    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:21 AM
  • Alex,

Many thanks - it was IPv6... disabling that solved all the issues. Good catch!

Regards,

Brett

Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:21 AM