Restore Experience RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to restore my main W7 64bit PC from a PP3 WHS.  If I boot from the restore Cd everything is fine, I can install the W7 32bit raid drivers and the drive is recognised, I can connect to the server, select the backup I want to restore and off it goes.  Estimate 1hr 4 mins.  The estimate then gets longer and longer with time.  I killed the last restore after 3 days - said it still had 1 day 6 mins to go but it had said that for over 12hrs (even though the progress bar was moving)  The drive is 992Mb.  Any suggestions? (the NIC driver is not needed, auto recognised by the restore CD)
    I can install W7 64 fresh onto the PC, install Connector but then presumably if I copy directories across, my registry will not be restored - or will it if I copy ALL the files?
    The other thing I need help with is if I use the restore CD, after I've installed the 32bit raid drivers from USB, the options I have are to restore my system 100Mb partition to the system partition on the PC, but my old C drive can only be restored to the new F drive - even though it isnt if I boot clean. presumably this is a consequence of booting from CD?  If I delete the partitions and then restore using the partition manager to format the blank disc will this solve the problem, or is WHS clever enough to restore to F but reconfigure it all back to C before restarting?
    Thanks in advance..
    Paul
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:32 PM

All replies

• I stopped trusting WHS for disaster recovery scenarios a while back, I had several Vista (32 and 64) restore failures pre-PP3. Now I use Acronis or Ghost when I want that kind of backup and I mainly use WHS backups for when I need...less than a full image restore.

I never had issues restoring XP with WHS but YMMV...
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:15 AM