FRx Report Server or Management Reporter RRS feed

• Question

• OK, just left a client.  They want to have department managers be able to access current financial statements at anytime with drilldown details.

They have several companies (with different account structures).  Most reports are built with the full GL account specified.

Can Management Reporter handle their needs at this time?   (I am NOT an early adopter for new software… I prefer to let others be on the bleeding edge of technology.)   Or would it make sense to install FRx Report Server. (Which I have not used either – only familiar with it in concept, our clients are generally too small)

What other issues might be seen with either?

Our time table is realistically in the next 2-3 months (Client has 4 months, but I am due to have a baby in 3!)

Any thoughts would be great.  Thanks!

Devon Southall
    Friday, April 30, 2010 3:16 PM

Answers

• It sounds like your users want to be able to generate reports at any time they wish, without having the ability to design the reports. 

Both FRx 6.7 and Management Reporter have functionality that will allow this. 

FRx 6.7 uses a separate application called the Report Launcher.  It is basically an app that shows all the entries from the Catalog of Reports, and allows users of the Launcher to change the Report Date, output options and a few other formatting things.  It does not allow them to change the rows, columns, trees of the report.

Management Reporter does not have separate applications to handle this situation, it uses Roles in the Designer product.  There is a Generator Role that allows users to generate reports on demand, but again, not design them.

For clarification, FRx Report Server is used to offload processing of reports from the local machine where FRx is installed to a server.  This frees up the end users local machines for other work while FRx reports are generated and processed on a server.  It can improve overall performance for larger companies that have many reports to complete.  In addition it allows scheduling of reports.  There is currently no equivelant product or functionality in Management Reporter.

Rob Iversen MSX Group www.msxgroup.com rob.iversen@msxgroup.com
    Friday, May 7, 2010 2:50 PM