WHS V1 Hardware Error: \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period - How can I recover my data or repair the server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've been receiving these errors in the System log lately: 

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period

All of my drives in the drive pool are SATA drives but the server shares have been acting flaky. Some of the data is accessible just fine for moving around. Some of the other data is viewable but not accessible. I've already ordered another hard drive but I wanted to be sure it was the drive and not the motherboard. Is there a way to confirm this? 

Additionally, if it is the port on the motherboard causing this issue - could I move the drive SATA cable to another port on the motherboard? Or will that cause an issue with the shares?

I'm really trying to figure out if there is a way I can get my data back and then decide how I'd like to proceed with the hardware.

Thanks in advance. 

Monday, October 28, 2013 1:27 PM

All replies

• I should also mention, I've ran the chkdsk on all the drives because I was getting bad block errors in the log too. It fixed it for a while but the bad block errors are back now too. The console and admin console is sluggish as well, and as I said some data (mp3s/videos) are accessible and some are not.

I want to confirm its the drive and not the motherboard, cable or the any other factor. I'm just not sure where to start or what to do to confirm this.

I was almost positive it is the drive because of the bad block errors, but would that cause the ATAPI (Event ID 9) that I have listed in the above post/title?

My plan was to add a new drive to the pool that I just ordered and remove the problem drive, unless anyone else has any suggestions?

• Edited by baker2gs Monday, October 28, 2013 5:10 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 4:44 PM
  • It's so likely to be the hard drive failing that there's no real point in trying to prove it. Replace the drive and if that doesn't fix the problem, you know it's a cable or your motherboard.

When you replace the drive, you should connect the new one, add it to server storage, and try to remove the failing drive from server storage. I say try because, depending on what's wrong with the drive, you may be unsuccessful while it's attached. In that case, physically remove it, then try again.

In either case, check the FAQ section where you'll find a post that deals specifically with what can be lost when a drive fails in your V1 server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, October 28, 2013 11:30 PM
  • Ken, first thank you so much for your dedication to these forums. I've poured through your posts and I was able to take a lot of information throughout my time as a WHS V1 user. You're an asset to the community, I honestly don't know where I'd be without the knowledge you share.

Secondly, I think you're right, it's the drive. I just wanted to be sure it was only that. I'm going to add in a second drive to the pool and try to remove the the problematic drive. I've been able to figure out which one it is. I may try to change the cable first to see if that will help anything, but it's doubtful. I snapped a full back up of the server on an external drive about 5 months ago so it's not going to be too bad if I were to lose any data.

With how dated V1 is getting, I may just jump to a RAID NAS going forward. I'm just trying to keep this thing running for now...

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:06 PM