none
Invalid Volume License Key RRS feed

• Question

• My mother's computer came up with an invalid VLK message when she turned it on (Volume LIcense Key) and windows (XP Pro) was blocked from starting.

The message came up with various options to click on but because she cannot get windows unblocked she cannot log-on to her dial-up account to look into any of them.

She was given the computer second-hand by my brother before he left to go overseas and he has since comitted suicide in January so is unavailable to tell us anything about it's systems or where he got it from. She has had it for a year I guess

Barely two weeks ago the whole thing had to be taken off to the computer shop because it had a virus and Windows may have been reloaded. She is a pensioner in her late seventies and is very proud of the fact that she can use email. It is also her only affordable contact with myself (who is far away and disabled) and my other brother in the middle-east so this is a hard hit and really not needed.

Are there any options to get this out of the way. Like will it be doing this because of the computer shop's work on the virus? Is there any way an old woman who cannot get online can fix this ?
    Monday, March 24, 2008 5:50 PM

Answers

• Username,

Please download and run the MS Genuine Diagnostic Tool utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering? 

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Who is the manufacturer of your computer system? Should you have a commercially built system you may contact the manufacturer and request a recovery software disc. This will help you alleviate some cost's. If the system is a clone built system then you can purchase a WGA Kit which should have been offered to you when you found out the system was non-genuine. 

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Monday, March 31, 2008 5:45 AM

All replies

• If you paid to have your computer repaired by someone that installed an illegal, counterfeit copy of Windows, take it back to the the repair shop and demand that they install a "genuine" version of Windows that passes the WGA test.  Make sure that also provide you with a genuine Windows CD (and not a copy), Certificate of Authenticity (COA) and printed licensing documentation.

Otherwise:

In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Monday, March 24, 2008 7:26 PM
  • We will look into the first paragraph about the tech needing to provide this and that. I wonder if he did a cheap job because she is a pensioner and her son had just comitted suicide. Pity there aren't special copies of Windows for proven hardship cases although her son had actually put XP Pro on the machine and we wouldn't want too many grannies getting that for free.

Re: the second paragraph of your reply. If it comes to that. Just what facility does she use to click on those links when she cannot access the internet because her version of windows is blocked?

Monday, March 24, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Do you know the make and model number of the computer?  If it is a major brand, you can contact the manufacturer and order the original Windows XP recovery disc from them at little charge.

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb

Monday, March 24, 2008 8:03 PM
  • No I don't know any of that. I know I keep on about this but my Mother is more than seventy and she needs an answer SHE can implement. This problem did not just happen it happened because Microsoft used an overbearing and thoughtless way of intruding in her computer and instead of giving her time to do something it cut her off from her major form of communication.

I will look at the link on her bahalf but I am on a pension and getting information to her involves long distance calls and maybe a tech to even get the details you have asked about. Money I don't have and totally unnecessary with just a little thought about the kind of people you may be affecting when you do things
    Monday, March 24, 2008 8:11 PM
  • Please open a free WGA support request directly:

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=9860

Monday, March 24, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Further to that. The link you sent me to reqires certain information

• PID Number/CD Key number
    • Copy of Invoice
    • Copy of CD Rom or Disk nr. 1
    • Copy of Certificate of Authenticity
    • Front Page of Manual
    • Copy of End-User Licence Agreement

How do we get these things when the guy who supplied the computer is dead and the access to Windows is blocked? Also what costs are you talking about? It has not been ascertained there is anything wrong with her copy of Windows. She is unable to access it to give details even if she knew how which she doesn't
    Monday, March 24, 2008 8:35 PM
  • A Volume License Key is a Windows license sold to large business enterprises and not to individuals.  If you cannot boot into Windows because of the invalid product key message, and you have no genuine Windows XP CD to use for repairs, I would recommend purchasing a genuine Windows XP Home Edition version and performing a clean install.

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B 1 Pack - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

How to perform a Windows XP clean install:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Monday, March 24, 2008 9:00 PM
  • Username,

Please download and run the MS Genuine Diagnostic Tool utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering? 

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Who is the manufacturer of your computer system? Should you have a commercially built system you may contact the manufacturer and request a recovery software disc. This will help you alleviate some cost's. If the system is a clone built system then you can purchase a WGA Kit which should have been offered to you when you found out the system was non-genuine. 

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Monday, March 31, 2008 5:45 AM