MAP Dynamics CRM Workgroup Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• 1 Is there any difference with the installation of Dynamics CRM Workgroup Server 2011to
    Dynamics CRM Server 2011 or is the main difference the number of users allowed?

2 Can I setup Dynamics CRM Workgroup Server 2011 on a single server, i.e. SBS 2008 or
    do I need a domain controller and a domain server for the CRM? Also if I do
    need a separate server, do all servers need to be 64bit or could my domain
    server be 32bit with everything else installed on say a PowerEdge 2900

3 is everything I need for the installation included in the Action Pack?

Chris Lister

• Edited by max_bite Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:21 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:11 PM

Answers

• It helps a lot thank you

Chris Lister

• Marked as answer by max_bite Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:54 AM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 12:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Max,

i think you are new to CRM.

You can find the details of installing and maintaing crm 2011 from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3621

Please go through it once hope it will answer your question.

Ahmed - CRM Application Management

Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:16 PM
  • 1) Two limitations are you are restricted to a single organisation (so you can't have a test org and a live one for example) and 5 users. You can later upgrade in place to a 'full' server edition by buying a licence and entering the key.

2) yes, you can do this all on one server if you want to. SBS is the only time CRM is supported to be installed on a DC. That is not to say this is a good idea of course, as your performance may suffer if you run everything in one place. Get lots of RAM. And then some more...  If you go for a separate server, then CRM 2011 and SQL 2008 both need to run on Windows Server 2008 64 bit. The other servers in your domain, including the DC can be on anything you like (you can run CRM in a Windows 2000 domain for example)

3) I'm not sure if everything you need is in Action Pack. It should be, but if not you can always download all the CRM server components freely and publicly anyway (to use with a trial licence for example), and I would advise doing this to get the install files with Update Rollup 6 already slipstreamed in. There are links for all the downloads in this article (since UR6 is a pre-requisite for UR7). Scroll down near the end:

CRM 2011 Update rollup 7 and Read-optimised Forms

Hope this helps. Adam Vero, MCT

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Thanks Ahmed, yes this would be my first install of CRM

I've checked out the link you sent & downloaded all docs, I'll have a good read through them! 

much appreciated Adam.... , so now I'm thinking DC on the an HP server running 2008 standard x32 and the CRM & SQL one the Dell 2900 x64 running 2008 standard (not SBS)?... I've got 16GB for that..... would that be enough for a 5 user in house system?

If I download UR6 & 7 can I use the the MAP Key or would it be best to install from the MAP's disc & then update/upgrade, is that posible?

Friday, June 22, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Sounds like a good plan.

16GB should be plenty.

MAP key should be fine on the downloaded installs.

Hope this helps. Adam Vero, MCT

Friday, June 22, 2012 12:26 PM
  • It helps a lot thank you

Chris Lister

• Marked as answer by max_bite Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:54 AM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Hi Adam

Just thought I'd let you know that we opted for a VM instalation..... 2 physical server the first running a windows 2008 R2 domain control and windows 2008 R2 hosting SQL and the CRM the 2nd server is running Norton Backup..... all went well and the data base is up and running

thank you for your help

chris lister

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:59 AM