Restore...doesn't. Missing files and apps on a restore RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying my first restores from a WHS2011 system. I'm somewhat horrified to find that they're incomplete.

In this case the test is of a working Windows 7 (x86) client. It has a few weeks of daily backups to a feshly created WHS2011 system.

The restore is to a clean (bigger) HD.

After the restore completes, there are problems

- Security Essentials says that it isn't installed

- various shortcuts, including to staple items like Word no longer function

- Windows Update claims never to have run

- none of the Home Server tools work - no lauchpad, no dashboard

I haven't exhaustively checked every file, but if some fail, then clearly there are major problems with the backup/restore.

I've tried this twice to verify that it wasn't a disk problem.

There are no errors reported anywhere (memories of failed WHS1 backups here).

Is this a known problem? Is there a known fix?

Thoughts anyone?

Barry

Friday, June 24, 2011 11:05 AM

All replies

• Not sure why you have seen this, but I can confim that based on my own experiences (restoring to SSDs in laptops) I have not seen tghis type of problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 11:34 AM
  • More Info:

I decided to try using the ClientRestoreWizard from the server to restore the image to a different hard disc on a different PC. (The idea was to eliminate disc, PC and restore boot disc as possible causes of corruption - not that there was any reason to suspect these).

Unfortunately, the newly created restore has the same errors as the first. This leads me to suspect that the backup database is broken.

So I tried a restore from a week old backup - same problem.

I used the dashboard Repair tool to check the database. It reports that all is well.

For good measure, I run CHKDSK on the server and that found no problems - and nothing in the event log to indicate any disc issues.

Clearly, there is something seriously wrong with WHS2011. It reports no errors - including in it's own diagnostic tool. Yet the backup taken this very morning cannot be restored.

Given the single instancing nature of WHS, I now have to assume that all backups are corrupt. I will run some further tests to verify this.

However, this is a clean WHS2011 install (no plug-ins etc), reporting no errors anywhere. I have to assume that WHS backup is not fit for purpose.

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:45 PM
  • More Info:

I decided to try using the ClientRestoreWizard from the server to restore the image to a different hard disc on a different PC. (The idea was to eliminate disc, PC and restore boot disc as possible causes of corruption - not that there was any reason to suspect these).

Well, unless the different PC has the same motherboard, PC cards and discs, this is not a good idea. Rather like trying to reboot an Englishman with the thoughts and experience of someone from Beijing... :-)

As the help pages say:

"You cannot perform a full system restore on computer hardware, such as a system board, that is not similar to the computer hardware that is being replaced. An installed operating system is closely dependent on the underlying hardware of the computer. However, you can perform a full system restore to a hard drive that is equal in size or larger than the one that is being replaced".

Friday, June 24, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Well, unless the different PC has the same motherboard, PC cards and discs, this is not a good idea.

Er... apart from you missing the point... It is a fine idea. I'm not booting the disc in that PC. If you use the ClientRestoreWizard from the server (not the dashboard tool), you can restore a PC image to an externally connected disc at a different PC.

Anyway, as I said, that was a further test to help determine where the problem lies.

The real topic is that the backup and restore system in WHS2011 cannot be relied on. I have a situation where a backup made this morning, cannot be restored (on the same PC - new hard disc) a few hours later. There are no errors recorded anwhere.

Anyone who hasn't performed an actual restore, may be suffering the same issue. Believing that their systems are all backed up and then finding that they are not.

Friday, June 24, 2011 5:26 PM
  • OK, I've missed the point. I've been able to restore PCs without issue. Sorry to disturb you.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 5:38 PM
  •  

OK. After considerably more testing, I conclude that the backup database in WHS2011 gets corrupted after a while.

Initially after a new install, everything is fine. Client backups will restore without problems. However, at some stage, that no longer applies. I haven't narrowed this down to exactly when - but when the backup database gets up to the near GB size, it's lost.

WHS2011 will not tell you - The diagnostics of CHKDSK and database repair, both claim everything is OK.

In short, it works long enough for basic testing and reviewers to say great - but in reality, it does not appear to be fit for purpose.

Seriously, has anyone tested a restore of a decent size (>300GB) client after a good number of backups have occured and the database is huge?

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:54 AM
  • You should submit a bug report on Connect if you believe there's an issue with the product.

As for testing restore, yes, I have, several times. I've never had a database corruption, so it's quite possible it's something to do with your environment.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:30 PM
  • I agree, I'll have to submit a fault report on this.

My first assumption was the environment - so I've run memory tests and disk tests - all say everything is fine. And that's the real concern that has damaged my confidence in the product: if CHKDSK, and the database repair show no faults; the error log shows no errors.

If anything in the environment was to cause this, then I would expect something to detect it.

I have restored clients that have misssing files and restored clients that will not boot (to the extent that Windows Startup Repair doesn't detect the Windows installation).

The same clients connected to a new WHS2011 installation restore fine after a few backups. It's difficult to know when or what has gone wrong.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:20 PM